Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissappearing Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Cabose
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissappearing Engine Light

Not sure if this is normal but after I start my bike the engine light comes on and stays on for about 5 seconds or so. I know it comes on when you flip the killswitch to run before you start the bike but I've never noticed it coming on after I've started the bike. I've tried pulling a code but come up with "none" or "no rsp". I dont notice any difference in performance. It just worries me that something might be wrong, and being mechanically retarded I thought I'd ask everyone on here. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I also notice it sometimes when I'm about to turn it off after a long ride, it'll come on for about 5 seconds or so at idle right before I kill it. I haven't been too worried about it because there are no codes and it doesn't stay on long, but I've been curious myself.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Cabose
Novice

That sounds like my issue but mine is at start up not when im about to turn it off.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Cabose
Novice

So I think that the light doesnt have anything to do with the bike running. Getting ready to head home from work I turned the key to on flipped the killswitch to run the engine light came on as it always does and went out after a few seconds. Then it came back on after a few seconds and after about 5 seconds of being on it went out again. I started my bike and it didnt come on. So im still not sure why its coming on a second time.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have numerous lights that come on and go off for no apparent reason on my bike. From what I have experienced personally and all the wiring electrical problems I read other people having, I think HD wiring/electrical leaves something to be desired.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a fault stored in The IM (instrument module).

Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Cabose
Novice

Originally Posted by tlb
You have a fault stored in The IM (instrument module).
Is that all it is. I tried looking for a code but never got one.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

do a search to pull up your codes

Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Try resetting the codes to clear it

Speedometer Self Diagnostics:
  • Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.
  • Push odometer reset button in & hold.
  • Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word diag should then appear.
  • Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.
  • Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. Example: from P to S to SP to T and back to P.
  • To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word 'NONE' will appear if there are no DTC's.
  • Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist -Record the codes.
  • Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.
NOTE: If Harley Davidson DTC's are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed. To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button (longer than 5 seconds) until 'CLEAR' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC's again by repeating above steps. If the code is current it will reappear.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

The check engine lamp illuminates for 4-sec as your bike's EMS runs a set of self-diagnostics. If it's coming on any other time - there's a problem & you need to get it checked...

Quick Reply: Dissappearing Engine Light