Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike dies on decel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
landonm11
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bike dies on decel

first off its a 2012 1200 with some fixins

the problem started after i did the tank lift wire tuck and coil relocate... i my have seperated some connectors without realizing it or maybe pinched one during assembly idk...

i have a moded stock air box with a k&n air filter and python slip-ons and the fuel pak(i know, i know)

when am going down the road its fine... when im taking off its fine but when i go to slow down start engine breaking or just clutch them hand and foot break it dies on me... and the funny thing is as well... my speedo just stops working on me... itll be fine then slow down and it just stops recording my speed... then when i come to a complete stop it may or may not pick back up... weird!

the bike sat for a while and the battery died could the battery dying make the fuel pak lose its memory and then in turn mess with my decel fueling?? and then also could that make the speedo die out from the engine stalling??

im in need for a lil help?!!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:32 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say to start checking your 90* connections on your coil as they might be loose. Give them a good squeeze with your fingers or pliers if needed. Atleast that's where I'd start.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM
landonm11
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
I'd say to start checking your 90* connections on your coil as they might be loose. Give them a good squeeze with your fingers or pliers if needed. Atleast that's where I'd start.
okay check that out all seems to be well... check engine light comes on every now and again and the speedo stops working... took the tank off and inspected all connectors... all seems well there too...

tomorrow im checking out the speedo its self... maybe the connector has came loose...

any others??

Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Doing it only on decel is what strange.

I would check the connector from the ECM to the coil, make sure it is seated well.

Wiring issues are a bugger, the outside of the connector and wire can look "good" when in fact there can be a break causing an intermittent connection.

Since you are getting a check engine light...that can help. What error codes is it throwing?

Here is a link to the chart for error codes, and How to retrieve them-

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...93323060686766

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

If all your wiring checks fine...take out the fuel pak & run it. See if you have the same decel stall...could be faulty tuner.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:35 PM
jamesn
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Landonm11, I'm keen to know more about your situation (fault) have you sovlved it as yet?

I have a similar fault with my bike, scratching my head as with HD Mech's and others here on the forum...my posting "Engine Wants to Shut Down after Full Throttle" is listed in the Engine/Fuel/Intake/Exhaust & Electrical/Ignition/Tuner/ECM sections and on several other forums.

A while ago I did experience twice what sounds identical to your fault and each time it was the 36 pin connection to my ThunderMax (ECM). On each occasion if I stopped and wriggled the connection, switched off/on it fixed it. That was over 8 months ago and 10,000 miles back and I never experienced the problem again. However, I've since rebiult my engine which has been running excellent up until 3 weeks ago and my fault is driving me nuts trying to locate the cause.

Looking forward to hearing more details of you fault

Old 04-14-2012, 05:59 PM
landonm11
Cruiser

Okay here's the things I've done...

Taken fuel pak off and ran it.. The bike ran like **** without it... So I put in back on ran it again but first called the guys at fuel pak tech and told them what was going on... And it stopped dying on decel

but the speedo still stops working and the check engine light comes on but by the time I stop and try to get the error code the damn thing goes off again... And then you take off and on down the road the check engine light pops up but then goes off again!

WTF?!?!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

check the tachometer circuit...including the pickup....

Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
landonm11
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
You were right my friend the rear plug wire connector was not crimped all the way creating a loose plug wire took the rubber boots off... Gave the connections a good squeeze and vroom!!!

Put about 60 miles on it today no decel stall and no speedo die!!

I did check The plug wires before but not that extensive... But got her going!

Thanks for the advice and help!!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by landonm11
You were right my friend the rear plug wire connector was not crimped all the way creating a loose plug wire took the rubber boots off... Gave the connections a good squeeze and vroom!!!

Put about 60 miles on it today no decel stall and no speedo die!!

I did check The plug wires before but not that extensive... But got her going!

Thanks for the advice and help!!
Your welcome.

Quick Reply: bike dies on decel