Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in air cleaner

I just picked up a 883 custom for my gf its all stock except for a k&n air filter in the stock housing. Bike has 5k on it.its getting oil in the air cleaner.i see theres diffent breather bolts that prevent this. Does any one have experience with them.is there a problem with the engine thats causing the oil drip

Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sportsters vent the crankcase pressure into the A/C. Because of this you will get oil entering your AC, it is normal. It is supposed to come out of the breather bolts and go into the carb or TB and get burnt up in the engines combustion chambers. If your oil level is in the mid to upper range on the dip stick when you do a hot oil check you can get enough oil in your AC that it will drip and make a mess on the side of your bike. to help deal with this issue, a lot of riders will make sure they keep their oil level on the lower level of the dip stick, just above the minimum line. There also is the option of a different AC and seperate breather bolts with various ways to control the oil, do a search here in this forum and you will find lots of information.

Last edited by Mich; 04-11-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil blowby is common with sportsters. Here's a good description of what's going on and the best solution (breather kit): http://www.mklsportster.com/xloilblowbyarticle.htm

Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

Tks for the info.im thinkin it might be a lil over filled with oil has anyone tryed spyke products krankvents

Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using the Outlaw Breather bolts for a few hundred miles and there is no sign of oil. Mine wasn't leaking, I just didn't want the vents blowing that oil/mist into my intake. It's an EPA thing and robs your engine of performance.

http://www.mklsportster.com/xloilblowbyarticle.htm

Routing the Breather Hose Into the Air Cleaner: Many Harley mechanics defeat one of the primary benefits of the breather kit when they route the breather hose into the air cleaner, on the inside of the air filter itself. Besides the fact that this defeats the purpose of the breather in the first place, it allows an oily mist into the combustion mix of your engine. The engine is designed to ignite a mixture of gas and air in the combustion cycle - adding a heavy oil mist to this mixture serves to greatly contribute to excess carbon formation in the combustion chambers and on piston tops as the oil burns along with the gas and air. Obviously, this leads to an eventual decline in the performance and reliability of the motor in the long term through this and other related factors (such as fouled plugs). So, if you have your breather hose routed into your air cleaner, reroute it to the atmosphere - the EPA may not approve, but your engine will thank you for it.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was getting oil blowby on my right pants leg, especially after running at high rpms... didnt like that!
my solution was a combo of a breather tube combined with never filling the oil above half way. never have had a problem since doing that combo.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaysteve
I just picked up a 883 custom for my gf its all stock except for a k&n air filter in the stock housing. Bike has 5k on it.its getting oil in the air cleaner.i see theres diffent breather bolts that prevent this. Does any one have experience with them.is there a problem with the engine thats causing the oil drip
This information about correct oil levels may be helpful-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...oil-level.html

btw, Twin Cams blow much more oil than the sportys!

Outlaw Breathers

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

Is the oil level checked on the jiffy stand or straight up

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member