Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Screw the dipstick in to check oil level.

The Screamin Eagle a/c will also correct this problem. That kit includes 2 curved tubes that go over the breather bolts and then directly into the manifold. That's not the only way to address the problem, but it's an option.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tks again everyone.i drained a lil oil out it was a lil over filled. Made a difference

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My budget won't allow it this season but this winter I will definately be investing in a AC that does not route the blow by into the intake. I am wishing that I knew more about this before I bought my new SE round filter when I did my conversion. Routing the blow by into the intake seems to be all negative to me. It must cause more carbon buildup on the piston and in the combustion chamber, decrease performance by putting hot oily mist into the intake when I want cool air entering the intake.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
My budget won't allow it this season but this winter I will definately be investing in a AC that does not route the blow by into the intake. I am wishing that I knew more about this before I bought my new SE round filter when I did my conversion. Routing the blow by into the intake seems to be all negative to me. It must cause more carbon buildup on the piston and in the combustion chamber, decrease performance by putting hot oily mist into the intake when I want cool air entering the intake.
You can use the same AC just install the Outlaw Breather Bolts, they are about $30. You will need to plug the holes in the back of the back plate however where the other bolts stuck through, and on the SE unit I have I also had to cut off some plastic, but not too hard.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Mich
Road Master

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
You can use the same AC just install the Outlaw Breather Bolts, they are about $30. You will need to plug the holes in the back of the back plate however where the other bolts stuck through, and on the SE unit I have I also had to cut off some plastic, but not too hard.
Not sure if that will work with the SE AC that I have but I will check it out and see if it is possible, thanks for the tip. This is the AC that I have:http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_CA

Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

Not sure if that will work with the SE AC that I have but I will check it out and see if it is possible, thanks for the tip. This is the AC that I have:http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_CA
They don't include the PDF part sheet there so I can't see what the back plate looks like, but I'm sure you could get them to work. It's just a matter of sealing up the holes on the back of the back plate.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Mich
Road Master

If you look at the picture of the AC you will see the breather bolt hole at about 1 o'clock, the other one is at about 11. The part of the hole you see has the rubber plug that vents the oil to the intake, the filter itself covers most of the breather hole, that's why I think it will not work.
I think I will buy one of the NRHS hurricane flow ACs when I do my heads and cams next winter. I should have bought one when I ordered my 1250 kit. Maybe I can get a few bucks for my SE filter at that time.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Routing the blow by into the intake seems to be all negative to me. It must cause more carbon buildup on the piston and in the combustion chamber, decrease performance by putting hot oily mist into the intake when I want cool air entering the intake.
No, it doesn't. I'm not trying to push the S/E air cleaner by any means. But, when I did the 1250 conversion on my 883 at 65,000 miles, the inside of that engine looked new. The SE air cleaner was on there for about 60,000 of those 65,000 miles.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Mich
Road Master

Originally Posted by SportyPig
No, it doesn't. I'm not trying to push the S/E air cleaner by any means. But, when I did the 1250 conversion on my 883 at 65,000 miles, the inside of that engine looked new. The SE air cleaner was on there for about 60,000 of those 65,000 miles.
You may be right, but when I did my conversion this is what my piston tops looked like after only 4000kms:

The carbon buildup on the one piston may not be related to the oil blowby but I did notice that the sponge in the blowby flutter valve of the carbony piston had a lot of oil in it and the flutter valve of the clean piston had a clean sponge.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SportyPig
If you don't have any blow by it really isn't an issue, but for $30 why not keep it out 100%?

There is no arguing the fact that this blow by oil mist robs performance (if it exists). I have an SRT8 Grand Cherokee and I couldn't even get a tuner to touch it without a catch can. Before I installed the can I pulled the throttle body and there was a pool of oil in the bottom of the intake. Crazy that they are built like this, but it's all EPA.

Bottom line is if the oil level is kept 1/2 way between add and full on the dipstick there won't be a blow by problem, and if you are venting to your intake it won't be an issue on the Sporty. But if for some reason there is, I won't need to worry about it.

Last edited by CanuckSporty; 04-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: oil in air cleaner