Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 "72" check engine and battery light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Shortdawg72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 "72" check engine and battery light on

So with less than 500 miles on my new bike the check engine and battery light kept coming on during my ride home. When I got home I checked the battery connections and ground connection. After checking all of this, she wouldn't start. Pulled the battery out and checked it. It was showing 11.5 volts. Placed it on a trickle charger for the next 24 hours and put it back in the bike. Started fine but as soon as I started to pull off, the lights came back on. Drove her 2 miles down the rode and when I got home I put the voltmeter on with the bike running and got a reading of 11.3 volts. I'm guessing it's probably the regulator. Tomorrow I'm taking her to the HD shop. I will let you know what I find out.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks man, congrats on the new ride though.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Sounds like a bad regulator or stator.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

**** happens, that's what warranties are for.

I was drooling over the 72 at the dealer yesterday. Nice bike man.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
marsDigital
Intermediate

yea when i saw the 72... i was like " i wish i bought my bike this year instead of last year"

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Shortdawg72
Advanced

Thanks bro

Old 04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
almiami
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shortdawg72
So with less than 500 miles on my new bike the check engine and battery light kept coming on during my ride home. When I got home I checked the battery connections and ground connection. After checking all of this, she wouldn't start. Pulled the battery out and checked it. It was showing 11.5 volts. Placed it on a trickle charger for the next 24 hours and put it back in the bike. Started fine but as soon as I started to pull off, the lights came back on. Drove her 2 miles down the rode and when I got home I put the voltmeter on with the bike running and got a reading of 11.3 volts. I'm guessing it's probably the regulator. Tomorrow I'm taking her to the HD shop. I will let you know what I find out.
Bad regulator or relay. Same happened to me and 50 other sportster owners.
The bad thing is it will come back. Next time take it straight to the dealer or you may be seating on the side of the road waiting for tow truck...

Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Spook327
1st Gear

I had the same problem with my Iron. It sat at the dealer for a week before they could locate the problem with the regulator. Luckily, it's covered under warranty so let them take care of your headache for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Shortdawg72
Advanced
Unhappy Seriously....Seriously

Well the dealer called and said my bike was ready. The paperwork said they charged the battery and it checked good. Reset the low voltage code and checked the charging system, good as well. Picked it up and trailered it home. The next day I rode it one mile and the same problem popped up. (Running = 14.2 volts before I left the house and 12.6 when I got back) I called the service department and took it straight back to the dealer. They called the mechanic out to talk with me and he reset the code on the spot. He then wanted me to take the bike back home (which is 60 miles away) and ride it and see if it came back. They are booked till the middle of this week. I said "no way, y'all can keep it until you figure the problem out". It cost me $30 in gas round trip every time I bring it in. I won't be trailering it home anymore that's for sure. Going on three weeks without a bike now.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM
almiami
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shortdawg72
Well the dealer called and said my bike was ready. The paperwork said they charged the battery and it checked good. Reset the low voltage code and checked the charging system, good as well. Picked it up and trailered it home. The next day I rode it one mile and the same problem popped up. (Running = 14.2 volts before I left the house and 12.6 when I got back) I called the service department and took it straight back to the dealer. They called the mechanic out to talk with me and he reset the code on the spot. He then wanted me to take the bike back home (which is 60 miles away) and ride it and see if it came back. They are booked till the middle of this week. I said "no way, y'all can keep it until you figure the problem out". It cost me $30 in gas round trip every time I bring it in. I won't be trailering it home anymore that's for sure. Going on three weeks without a bike now.
HD is out of stock on the relay and regulator so they are going to push you away until then. Have them pull one of the floor model. If you have a good dealer, he will.

Quick Reply: 2012 "72" check engine and battery light on