Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM
williamh
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 883 custom. I can blow most cars away off the line. It cruises at 75 with no vibration once past 80 though it starts screaming. The only mods are SE air and D&D slip ons. I will be replacing the handlebars and the stock riser which I've come to really dislike. It's a good bike and it gets 53 mpg. Do plan to upgrade to a dyna next spring, though.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
JTimes
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff, you might want to check out this thread if you haven't already: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...portstour.html

There is a lot of discussion about turning a sportster into a 'sporstouring' bike.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM
DravenGSX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jeff10236
I know the Sportster won't be able to be set up to be as comfortable on the highway as the C50 can be set up to be. However, right now I still have the stock seat. The thing I hate about my C50 is the seat (as well as the fact that I'd like a more stripped down style now than I wanted when I bought it). The vibrations (and an 800cc cruiser does vibrate at highway speeds, my mirrors are useless) don't really bother me. The seat is not only uncomfortable but can cut off my circulation at times. So, a Sportster with a Mustang seat should be better for me than the C50 with the stock seat, and the C50's stock seat is bad enough that I'd be willing to bet that the Sportster's stock seat is probably better (though, admittedly, I'm sure the C50 with the Mustang would be better than the Sportster with the Mustang). I'm just hoping the Sportster will be good enough overall because I really love the style and what I read about the performance sounds like what I'm looking for.
No doubt the C50 seat is awful. A mustang seat for the C50 is $500. Since you're trying to mind your budget.. and you want a comfortable highway cruiser ....... No brainer really.

Combine that Mustang seat with a DJ drive and you'll knock the vibrations out too.

From what you are saying, it sounds like your suggestion for what I want would probably be a Softail. How are they around town? If I went Softail it would be the Deuce, Standard, Night Train, or Fat Boy (preferably the Fat Boy Lo).
I wouldn't recommend a Softail to anybody. I don't care for the ride. Too smooth, too boring. But, it is most certainly a better highway option than the Sportster. Of course, you're over $10k for any Softail.... >$15k for your Fat Boy Low.

I traded my C50 for the 1200C and I don't regret any bit of it. The Sportster is far and above a better bike than the C50. But I'm also not taking weekend long highway trips.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DravenGSX
No doubt the C50 seat is awful. A mustang seat for the C50 is $500. Since you're trying to mind your budget.. and you want a comfortable highway cruiser ....... No brainer really.

Combine that Mustang seat with a DJ drive and you'll knock the vibrations out too.

I wouldn't recommend a Softail to anybody. I don't care for the ride. Too smooth, too boring. But, it is most certainly a better highway option than the Sportster. Of course, you're over $10k for any Softail.... >$15k for your Fat Boy Low.

I traded my C50 for the 1200C and I don't regret any bit of it. The Sportster is far and above a better bike than the C50. But I'm also not taking weekend long highway trips.
It's amazing how opinions differ on the same bike. I Tour a lot on a Road King. I bought a Fat Boy Lo because it looked cool and I thought I could do some moderate touring on it. I was wrong. Sold it after a 5000 mile trip. I found it very uncomfortable on the highway. I changed the handlebars to street slammers, put on a sundowner seat ect. The B engine is great at idle with the counter balanced engine but at higher speeds it vibrated through the handlebars.

I find the 12 Sportster C, set up correctly is a much better tourer than a Softtail. MY wife's sportster now has floorboards, rigid leather saddlebags, backrest, luggage rack ect and is soon to have Ohlins rear shocks and racetech custom front springs. It is already a better touring bike than my old Fatboy LO and will be that much better with the suspension upgraded. The Sportster loves the higher revs and speed and actually smoothes out between 3500 and 4000 RPM's. I love the ride of the 12 Sportster and will be buying one for myself soon.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM
DravenGSX
Cruiser

So you're suggesting that the Sportster vibrates less at highway speeds than a Softail?

I think you're delusional.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of the Softails, but ... let's be real.