Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep or ditch the bags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

[quote=hogdiver96;9640033]
Originally Posted by lizdc
Maybe because he wanted a sporster..
Sportsters can be whatever you want them to be. Putting small saddle bags on a sporster does not make them a dresser. If you want to play fashion police with a guys bike I can recommend a few sights like Cosmo

Quite frankly i dont want tp play "fashion police" with anyones bike.
I couldnt give a damn what people do its not my business!
But the title of this thread is......KEEP OR DITCH BAGS? that squiggly shaped thing after the letter "s" on the word BAGS"" is a question mark which means he is asking a question.
If you dont approve of other peoples answers become a moderator..
It was your need to say anyone who puts bags on their bikes should get a dresser (and that was equal to a truck) that inspired my comment NOT that you didn't like his bags.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Shortdawg72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I like something like the Lick's solo bag. I plan on buying one for my bike. I have two sets of sadllebags but I refuse to put them across my new fender. I do have a 30 in. sissy bar and plan to buy a big bag to attach to it for long trips. Currently I just strap an old book bag to it if I need to haul extra gear, lunch to work or whatever. With the 30 in. sissy bar I could probably attach a big bag, a sleeping bag, a tent, kids etc. all at once to it.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
mrgr8ness
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have small Tourmaster bags. They unzip and come right off. Yeah, I like the way my bike looks a little better without the bags. Yeah, I like the look of my bike better with a solo seat instead of the Sundowner. Yeah, I like the look of my bike a little better without the luggage rack and sissy bar. But I bought my bike to ride, not to show. And I take trips with my wife. Without the uncool looking comforts, she wouldn't ride. Sure, I would like to have a dresser for long trips, but the majority of my riding is around town, with the occasional long trips. And I love my Sporty, and its what I can afford. The only way I upgrade is if I can afford to keep both. Until then, I guess I ride an "uncool" looking bike.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

I put a tailbag on my bike and love it. Not as big or cumbersome as saddles but big enough for my daily crap. Just a thought for you.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=lizdc;9642008]
Originally Posted by hogdiver96
It was your need to say anyone who puts bags on their bikes should get a dresser (and that was equal to a truck) that inspired my comment NOT that you didn't like his bags.
+1 liz. Since my cage ride is a truck and I just sold an EG to buy my Fatboy, I can assure our esteemed colleague from across the ocean that a dresser and a truck are far from the same thing. These types of ignorant comments typically come from those who have never ridden/driven that which they criticize.

Now you'll please excuse me whilst I investigate the possibilities of adding hard bags, a trunk, fairing, radio, cb, cruise control, floorboards, gps, and a coffee maker to my XL1200L. I might, after all, wish to ride it further than around the bloody block, what?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

I switch my bike from around town mode, Badlander saddle.
To touring mode in about 5 minutes, Leather Pro saddlebags, Sundowner saddle, backrest and luggage rack.
Except for the color it looked like two different bikes.
A neighbor actually asked when I got the new bike.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might as well keep them whats the harm?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Taddeoeg;9648640]
Originally Posted by lizdc

+1 liz. Since my cage ride is a truck and I just sold an EG to buy my Fatboy, I can assure our esteemed colleague from across the ocean that a dresser and a truck are far from the same thing. These types of ignorant comments typically come from those who have never ridden/driven that which they criticize.

Now you'll please excuse me whilst I investigate the possibilities of adding hard bags, a trunk, fairing, radio, cb, cruise control, floorboards, gps, and a coffee maker to my XL1200L. I might, after all, wish to ride it further than around the bloody block, what?

+1 Liz and what Taddeoeg said. BTW Taddeoeg, I almost have everything on your list on my Sporty! Can't ride a dresser because of the size and weight. My Sportstour is the best of both worlds and I love it!

To each his/her own. If you Do not like bags don't put them on. If you do like bags put them on. Is it that simple!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My bike had the nice HD hard bags on it when I got it and i took them off ans sold them, I hate the look of bags.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
DravenGSX
Cruiser

Made mine quick detachable with the use of a couple of wing nuts and lock washers. Move the lock nuts to behind the bags and use the wing nuts inside to mount and unmount them. Best of both worlds.

Know what you mean about the black shocks.. made that mistake too.

Quick Reply: Keep or ditch the bags?