Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and new to Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM
paidin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and new to Harleys

Hello, I have been reading through the informative posts in this forum to try to familiarize myself with the Sportsters so that I can make an informed decision when I buy one. Well yesterday I picked up my first Harley Davidson. It is a 2006 XL883C with the following mods and accessories:

Screamin Eagle conversion big bore kit
Bolt in cams
Upgraded ignition
Mikuni 42mm carburetor
Screamin Eagle SE A/C KIT, XL '04+
Screamin Eagle Exhaust
Chrome engine XL kit
Saddle Bags

Now I do not claim to know what half of this stuff is or means but I am still learning and will one day know what it is that I am actually riding. The bike itself is great and has tons more power than the bike that I have been riding for the past ten years, a ninja 250. I never thought I could actually find a REAL bike that I could handle but sitting on a Sportster super low in the show room made me realize that even though the Sportster is twice as heavy as my ninja 250, the center of gravity is such that the Sportster is actually easier for me to balance. On top of that, its fun to ride and puts a big smile on my face every time I turn it on!

If you guys know anything about the components in my bike, I would appreciate any knowledge you can throw my way!

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice ride, Oh and welcome to the madness of HDForums from Ohio.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Welcome!! I'm new myself, but I CAN tell you this at least: While your bike started out as the smaller 883 CC variant, someone put alot of time and effort into pulling the motor out and rebuilding it into a 1200 with some aftermarket accessories that make it even more powerful than the factory 1200. The bottom line is that if whoever did the conversion did a good job, your bike should be a bit of a monster and a helluva great ride.

Big bore kit: larger cylinders for more displacement
Cams: changes the lift/duration of the valves being open for more fuel/air and therefore more power
Upgraded ignition: All that new fuel/air needs a good spark to fire it
Mikuni 42mm carburetor: I don't know anything about those, other than perhaps it allows a higher quantitity or better mixture of fuel/air. Someone else can tell you more.
SE A/C : better flowing air cleaner than stock, allows for more air, therefore more power.
SE exhaust: better flowing exhaust system, allows for more burned fuel/air to leave the engine faster, allowing more fresh air/fuel in.
Chrome engine XL kit: I think that's just chrome accessories
Saddle bags: Helluva convenient accessory when going to the store!

Again, I'm brand new here myself, someone chime in if I'm off base. And WELCOME!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Welcome!! I'm new myself, but I CAN tell you this at least: While your bike started out as the smaller 883 CC variant, someone put alot of time and effort into pulling the motor out and rebuilding it into a 1200 with some aftermarket accessories that make it even more powerful than the factory 1200. The bottom line is that if whoever did the conversion did a good job, your bike should be a bit of a monster and a helluva great ride.

Big bore kit: larger cylinders for more displacement
Cams: changes the lift/duration of the valves being open for more fuel/air and therefore more power
Upgraded ignition: All that new fuel/air needs a good spark to fire it
Mikuni 42mm carburetor: I don't know anything about those, other than perhaps it allows a higher quantitity or better mixture of fuel/air. Someone else can tell you more.
SE A/C : better flowing air cleaner than stock, allows for more air, therefore more power.
SE exhaust: better flowing exhaust system, allows for more burned fuel/air to leave the engine faster, allowing more fresh air/fuel in.
Chrome engine XL kit: I think that's just chrome accessories
Saddle bags: Helluva convenient accessory when going to the store!

Again, I'm brand new here myself, someone chime in if I'm off base. And WELCOME!
1200, if it is a standard HD kit, isn't really "aftermarket" 1250, OTOH, is. I believe the 1250 and probably the 1200 kit can be done without removing the engine. OP was pretty ballsy picking a bike with mods that he don't quite understand. I tend to prefer a stock bike unless I know for sure what went in and who installed it but that is a personal preference. I tend to be leery of buying something that someone modified if I am not sure of the quality of the work and parts.

The thing that worries me most is the cams since we don't know what it was. Did the guy really do his homework or slap a cam in there? Was it measured out properly or is it a "risky" build? Ignition doesn't bother me as much. I am not sure if the spark on the stock bikes are bad but I THINK that you have to change the ignition because of the spark advance when you go to the 1200. Not sure about carb bikes.

Perhaps the carb was changed because it was too small for the 1200. Not sure.

Saddle bags are pretty useless for shopping if you have teeth to hold your bags in.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 AM
100yr_itch
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And again .....another C model gotta love um,Welcome from Northern Califorina bro...!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:17 AM
knights
Tourer

Originally Posted by aklim
Saddle bags are pretty useless for shopping if you have teeth to hold your bags in.
hahahaha

nice bike btw, some serious upgrades to your ride
i also came from a small sports bike to a HD sportster. and loving it .
welcome

Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 AM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

Sharp looking bike! Long live the 21" front wheel!

Welcome to the forums. The former owner certainly put some money into that bike. You should really enjoy it.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Blackysporty
Road Master

Welcome to the forum from PA and nice ride!!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Hemi_SRT8
Intermediate

Welcome.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard! You sure have a nice looking bike. Ride safe!

Quick Reply: New to forum and new to Harleys