Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and new to Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome from yet another '06 1200 Custom rider. I can't add much info on your list of upgrades that wasn't mentioned. The "Chrome engine XL kit" I believe is the chrome plates on the sides of the transmission, and the sprocket cover... those are chrome on a stock 1200C, but I don't think they are on a 883.

Other than that, besides your footpegs, it looks pretty stock. I think I see a horn relocate was installed, and that seat looks like a Sundowner. It ought to move pretty good with that big bore kit and cams.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
jameson079
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! Nice looking bike you got there. Ride safe!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
paidin
6th Gear

Thanks for the warm welcomes and information! I replied earlier today but my work computer made me enter username and password again for this site and needless to say, the post was lost! Anyways, I will try to remember what I posted again... Well, I have been drinking so I forgot what I said so I will say this: I was originally looking for an upgrade to the ninja 250 that I have been riding for the past 10 years and was always one of those guys that hated Harleys. This was mainly due to the fact that I felt it a waste of money to spend 30k for a motorcycle. It could have been due to the practical side of me or maybe it was because I was jealous that I could not afford anything like that. My first inclination was to buy a Yamaha V-star 650. I test rode one last week and it did not do much for me. The ninja 250 was very flickable and had lots of power for me from 9k-13k RPM. it was great fun to ride and got 70mpg. Well, riding the V-star, it felt like transportation, nothing more. I decided to see what else was in that price range of $2000-$3000 and saw that there were a lot of sportsters in the $4000-$5000 range. I thought, what the heck, another $1000 and I could get myself a real harley instead of something that was like a harley.

When I showed up at this guys house, the first thing that came to my mind was that this bike looked great! When he fired it up, I was in trouble! I thought "I have GOT to get this bike!" when he revved it, I did not stand a chance. It sounded like a REAL bike and I could actually flat foot it and it felt very easy to balance. I did not know what half of the stuff he said came with the bike was and he said the engine mods were done by the local harley dealership so I felt comfortable with the reliability of the bike, even though I did not ride it. Browsing through these forums, I had a sense that I was getting a good deal. I ended up buying it for $4,300 with 13500 on the odometer. I have ridden it every day since and absolutely love it!

thanks for reading my drunkin ramblings. I will contribute more when I am sober tomorrow.

-paidin

Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 AM
paidin
6th Gear

Here is another picture after I applied some pledge to it. I cant believe you crazy guys use pledge!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 AM
cagedodger
Advanced

Why not get a 1200? I dont understand the 883. I just dont understand the logic. For 1500 more you get a ton more power on the same bike pretty much

Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 AM
paidin
6th Gear

well it was a used bike, 2006 model. Like I said, I do not know anything about Harleys. After reading the manual, I found that the 1200's were 5 pounds lighter than the 883's! At least I get cheap insurance and still have the power of a 1200 because this one is modified to become a 1200.

I do agree with you though that if you were to buy a new one, a 1200 might make sense but then again, $1500 is a lot of money, especially if you barely scraped up enough to buy the 883. I know I could not afford to buy a new 883 at the moment.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 AM
cagedodger
Advanced

I bought my nightster brand new in 09. I figured if im going to spend big money I might as well spend a little more for the 1200 sportster. Im not rich but I plan on riding this bike for a while. Long term investment. All my performance upgrades are finished.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 AM
cagedodger
Advanced

The 1200 is a beast and all I need now is handlebars and shocks. Im good after that. No pretty bs on my bike like willie g crap. I spray canned most my little stuff.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM
paidin
6th Gear

I would like to add the driving lights to my Sportster. Is it possible to have driving lights and a windshield on the sportsters?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes and yes. You can find factory quick disconnect windshields for about $200 used or aftermarket ones cheaper. The thing about windshields is that it makes a big difference what size and shape they are, so make sure you do your research before plunking down your hard earned cash. Bigger is usually better from what I've read and experienced, but of course it won't look as good as a smaller unit, and if it's TOO big, you'll have to look through it versus over it, and you don't really want that.

Someone that knows more about driving lights can help you with that, but again, use the search button up top and find out what you want to know before spending any green.

Quick Reply: New to forum and new to Harleys