Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet / windshield BS??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGarbon
Try earplugs.
Swell, another troll.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I'd love to ditch my windshield too, and I only use it on the highway...but to you guys that go without them on the highway:

What do you do about bugs? Is this just a local thing? I'd be a bug juice painting if I didn't have a shield.

Road debris? Just yesterday something flew up an bounced off the top of my shield. It would have smacked me right in the face without it.

Wind buffeting to me is acceptable with these other factors. It's the lesser of evils.
I have a "naked" sport bike with this problem. All I can say is thank god for full face helmets. Took a rock to the face shield that was enough to crack it. could have been my nose. It's definitely not a local thing. When I ride the sport, my jacket looks like a splatter painting

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM
TheGarbon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
Swell, another troll.
Really. I was of the mind that a lot of the "buffet" is perceived wind noise and a 33db ear plug helps a lot with that.

I ride with a half shell and was bothered by trips over 100 miles so bought a shield. Did not really care for the buffeting so started to wear plugs and all the sudden things were fine. Actually got tired of the shield as I did not like the look and now just run with plugs. Also helps with pipe noise. You would be surprised how much noise will beat you down. Added bonus is you will actually be able to hear the grandkids if your lucky enough to make your 90s.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Buffeting as I experienced it wasn't fun. It was so bad it actually hurt. Right, I felt pain in my head. Made me think I may have a brain after all . Emptiness can't give you pain, can it?
Since I do know a little bit about aerodynamics I tilted my windshield backwards for a change. This effectively moved the turbulence behind my head. Now when riding two-up Wife complains about buffeting.
I do not agree with folks who said air coming from under the windshield is causing it. It is clearly the turbulence created by the top edge of the shield.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain

Really. I was of the mind that a lot of the "buffet" is perceived wind noise and a 33db ear plug helps a lot with that..
My mistake. Thanks for your input.

The buffeting I felt originally moved my head up/down hard & fast enough to blur my vision. I have a 3/4 helmet, so the noise isn't a problem.

When I angled the shield forward 3/4" the buffeting changed for the better.

I can cruise at 75 now, so it's all good.

VonZ, the riding season is young. maybe I'll try tilting the shield the other way if I get a chance. Thanks.

Last edited by Howler_LI; 05-09-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain

Really. I was of the mind that a lot of the "buffet" is perceived wind noise and a 33db ear plug helps a lot with that.

I ride with a half shell and was bothered by trips over 100 miles so bought a shield. Did not really care for the buffeting so started to wear plugs and all the sudden things were fine. Actually got tired of the shield as I did not like the look and now just run with plugs. Also helps with pipe noise. You would be surprised how much noise will beat you down. Added bonus is you will actually be able to hear the grandkids if your lucky enough to make your 90s.
I just got back from a 2 day 450 mile round trip. My ears are ringing. So much for the 3/4 helmet covering the ears. May be time to try the ear plugs.

The actual buffeting wasn't bad. Very windy yesterday. If it got bad I slowed down a bit. Today no problem.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 PM
GOLGO-13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Buffeting as I experienced it wasn't fun. It was so bad it actually hurt. Right, I felt pain in my head. Made me think I may have a brain after all . Emptiness can't give you pain, can it?
Since I do know a little bit about aerodynamics I tilted my windshield backwards for a change. This effectively moved the turbulence behind my head. Now when riding two-up Wife complains about buffeting.
I do not agree with folks who said air coming from under the windshield is causing it. It is clearly the turbulence created by the top edge of the shield.
Actually, it is coming from underneath the windshield (why they put lowers on to fix it). You can feel the wind coming from underneath. I took mine back and said fugit. I ride with a FF anyways, I like feeling the wind on my chest most of the time.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I'd love to ditch my windshield too, and I only use it on the highway...but to you guys that go without them on the highway:

What do you do about bugs? Is this just a local thing? I'd be a bug juice painting if I didn't have a shield.

Road debris? Just yesterday something flew up an bounced off the top of my shield. It would have smacked me right in the face without it.
I prefer a naked bike. I ride with a full helmet and it has always protected me from bugs and stuff flying up from the road or from other vehicles. I've had quite a few things bounce of my helmet and was always glad I was wearing one.

As for the bugs I have a light windbreaker type jacket I always wear. Never been a problem for me in that regard, and the helmet always gets wiped down after a ride.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 AM
lesgeaux
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howler, is there room on the bottom clamp to install a longer spacer that may be add improvement?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
I just got back from a 2 day 450 mile round trip. My ears are ringing. So much for the 3/4 helmet covering the ears. May be time to try the ear plugs.

The actual buffeting wasn't bad. Very windy yesterday. If it got bad I slowed down a bit. Today no problem.
I've been wearing ear plugs since the 70s, when there was a big push to encourage us to protect our hearing. I despair that the message is still not getting through! It should be a part of all rider training. I wear them on all trips except local errands.

Quick Reply: Helmet / windshield BS??