Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another hello

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:31 AM
tplyons
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another hello

I introduced myself more thoroughly in the new member forum, but figured I'd go into a bit of detail here since I'll probably be hanging around here the most:

My name is Tim, I'm 19, 20 in March. I'm originally from Florida, moved around as an Air Force Brat to many locations in FL, England and southern NJ. I'm now living in Northern New Jersey and going to Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA for business management with a concentration in marketing.

I'm a new rider (future rider actually) and am going to get my licence in mid-late May of this year by taking the class suggested by the DMV. I'm safety oriented, but am still looking for something more fuel efficient and a hell of a lot more fun than a 1987 GMC Caballero (El Camino) which I also love dearly.

Here's the thing: I'm a small guy. I'm looking to make a purchase around $5000 or less (preferably) but reliability and safety are key. That's why I've come to Harley Davidson. Besides the lifestyle associated with it, the reliability, availability of parts, and brotherhood of other riders. I'm 5'7", 160 lbs. and am looking at a Sportster. Should I be searching for a Hugger/Low model? Or do you think I'd be comfortable on a standard model? I'm aiming for an 883 or 883L.

I'm not opposed to anything older... preferably with the current Evo motor (first released in 86 or 87 IIRC?) or anything more modern but reasonbly priced. Color isn't a huge deal, the more original the better.

Any input?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:41 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Another hello

Welcome from INDY

Old 12-28-2006, 01:49 AM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

At 5'7", you should be fine on either. I've got a 28" inseam and am fine on a Custom. I lowered it and it's even more comefortable - bent kneed, flat footed, easy to move by foot.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 AM
tplyons
Tourer

Thanks, that's good to know. I wear pants with a 30" inseam, but they drag a bit. It's good to know that I shouldn't have too much of a problem.

How far can you lower a Sportster?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:15 AM
rharrison
Road Master

Any of the 2004-2005 Sportsters would serve you well, and if you shop well, you might find one for about $5000. These are great bikes and will serve you well. The Low and Hugger models are designed for those of shorter inseam, so try the bike before you buy.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 AM
eggroll
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DMV class = good thing
Welcome from WA, good luck on the bike-n-seek.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome from Rhode Island.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM
ellebee1
Intermediate

Welcome, from Halifax Nova Scotia! Whatever model you decide on is the right move. You seem very mature for your age. I had "RICE" blowin' out my tail pipe till I was 36. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:33 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm 6' 1 1/2", and have a 33/34" inseam, and I find it very hard to ride any bike with mid-controls.

But then again, I've had forward controls on every Harley I've owned for the past 35+ years, so I'm not use to mid-controls.

In fact, the stock forward controls on the 1200C I own are further back towards the rider than I would like, but I've gotten in a habit of resting my heels on top of the highway pegs when 'cruising'.

From what I understand one of the "improvements" Harley made starting with the 2004 models was to move the forward controls 2" closer to the rider.

Wish they would have left them where they were on the pre-2004 Sportsters.

The forward controls on the 2004+ Sportsters are my main gripe with the bike, but I think they were setup for people with shorter inseams.

I like being able to stretch my legs out if I'm spending hours after hours on the highway on long runs, and that's one of the reasons I love the foot positions available on my FatBoy (shown below for comparison).

Old 12-28-2006, 12:14 PM
brauny1
Road Master

Hello Whipper Snapper (I say that cause I have 3 kids older than you) Welcome from Utah. You should easily find a good Sporty under $5K, keep your eyes on the local paper, ebay, on this site's 'for sale' etc.. Very good choice for what your looking for.

Quick Reply: Another hello