Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbureted Sporty Issue? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM
NBryant
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbureted Sporty Issue? Please help!

I started my new to me (and 1st bike) 2006 1200c trying not to use the choke as I have read several threads that it's better to simply stroke the throttle a few times instead. It was not wanting to stay running so I was giving it some throttle when a puff of white smoke came out of the air cleaner with a loud pop! After that, I used the choke to start and let her run for a few minutes until warm.

I didn't want to ride until I asked y'all what the smoke was all about and determine if I f'ed something up???

With regards to starting the bike with vs without choke, my bike seems to really need choke to get warm for a couple of minutes. I don't claim to know much, but I'm beginning to form the opinion that the choke wouldn't be there if it wasn't intended to be used.

Any info you could offer this novice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

who in the hell told you not to use the choke?! Must be a b$tch to start. Go kick them in the nuts for telling you that. Use the damn choke.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

the pop and smoke were a backfire through the carb. Probably due to the lean condition of a cold bike with no choke, or the squirts of gas from "stroking" the throttle. Twist the throttle once(twice when it's pretty cold), pull the choke most of the way out, start the bike, then push the choke in until it has a nice hum about 2000 rpm, and let it warm up as long as you see fit. I can't see any reason your 06 would be any different than my '87

Last edited by guitarman023; 03-29-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

It's an "enrichener" (CV carbs don't have a conventional choke), and the entire reason it exists is to make starting easier.

Here's what I do:

Pull it all the way out. Don't pump the throttle or anything. Hit the start button
Once it fires up, let it run full-out for about 15 seconds or so. Then I push it in about half way and let it run for another 30 seconds to a minute, depending on the weather. After that I'll push it in about 3/4 of the way. I use this time to put my phone and wallet in my jacket, zip up, close the garage, etc. I'll check the rear rocker cover with the back of my hand; if it's warm (not hot) I'll go full-in and ride off.

The white puff was the vaporized fuel getting blown back out of the carb, a non-burned backfire if you will. Won't hurt anything.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 95th 1200
It's an "enrichener" (CV carbs don't have a conventional choke), and the entire reason it exists is to make starting easier.

Here's what I do:

Pull it all the way out. Don't pump the throttle or anything. Hit the start button
Once it fires up, let it run full-out for about 15 seconds or so. Then I push it in about half way and let it run for another 30 seconds to a minute, depending on the weather. After that I'll push it in about 3/4 of the way. I use this time to put my phone and wallet in my jacket, zip up, close the garage, etc. I'll check the rear rocker cover with the back of my hand; if it's warm (not hot) I'll go full-in and ride off.

The white puff was the vaporized fuel getting blown back out of the carb, a non-burned backfire if you will. Won't hurt anything.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+2 on what the others said......Use the choke/enrichner, as it's there for a reason. I pull the choke out, give it two or three twists of the throttle, and hit the start button. Fires right up every time. Oh, and I have the tension **** set on my choke so that it slides back in on it's own as the bike warms up.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
NBryant
Intermediate

Thanks guys for all the great info! It sucks being so green but great to have this resource.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My Sporty won't begin to start without the "choke". The amount of time from full choke to half to closed depends on the weather. Sometimes in the winter, I have to ride it for about 2 miles, before I can completely close the choke.

That choke will need to be tightened from time to time. It's a friction screw. It will get where it won't stay in the position you place it. You can search on that here. Or, even better....get a service manual.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

I agree with everyone else my bike will not start without the choke out. I normally let it idle for a while as it's temperamental when it's cold. Oh make sure your fuel is on too...that helps. Experience talking on that one.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 PM
NBryant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arm_xl1200c
I agree with everyone else my bike will not start without the choke out. I normally let it idle for a while as it's temperamental when it's cold. Oh make sure your fuel is on too...that helps. Experience talking on that one.
Ha! Already been there and done that!

Quick Reply: Carbureted Sporty Issue? Please help!