Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air cleaner ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Big_Redneck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the one I use....the SE Stage 1 and I have the Willie G. skull cover for it

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

The DK Outlaws are the lowest profile on the market...more room to move your leg around without bumping the a/c. When designing them, this was one of the key factors.

Another is that for less than the cost of a family dinner at McDonalds you can completely change the look with the interchangeable Covers & Emblems.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't worry to much about leg clearance, this is a double wide air cleaner I built for my bike with spiky wing nuts. I have use this with both forward and mid controls and had no leg issues.

Attached Thumbnails Air cleaner ?-copy-of-dsc01711.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

DK Outlaw

Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wtrfwl havoc
I am sure this has been talked about over and over, but didnt have much luck doing a search. I am wanting to put a round open filter air cleaner on my nightster. My question is which size filter do you guys have and how do you like them. I like a few styles that come with 8" filters and am worried about it interfering with the leg room. The 4" definately would not get in the way just curious if you guys had any issues with a larger or smaller one. Any thought are appreciated. Thanks
not sure what you are worried about- have a big sucker on mine inside a large cover and on top of that a willie g. "badge"- my leg probably touches it, but who notices those things?!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanabe
not sure what you are worried about- have a big sucker on mine inside a large cover and on top of that a willie g. "badge"- my leg probably touches it, but who notices those things?!][/URL]
It might be one of those things where you don't realize how nice it is until you experience it. Different strokes.

The ham can never "bothered" me, but after it was gone I realized that I liked it a lot better without it there.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
wtrfwl havoc
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just ordered a air cleaner kit from dk customs. Hopefully I will like it.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

You'll like it. It's a nice kit.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM
tsenator
1st Gear

DK Custom -- I notice you have the brass and the aluminum breather bolts. Other than the color what is the difference between the two? Which one might have fewer issues down the road? Which one might strip easier or which one might wear better. I do know that brass has a much less chance of corrosion to weather than aluminum, but since what its screwing into is aluminum ( I assume -- head/fins?) is there any likely hood of issues with dissimilar metals with the brass?

In other words - does any of this matter - what say you ?

One last thing -- What is the likely hood of oil or misting gasses coming our of those breathing tubes, and if so how bad?

(edit: I guess never mind on the second question - I guess I found the answer - which is possibly a little, but not bad - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...r-bolts-4.html )

Last edited by tsenator; 05-05-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by tsenator
DK Custom -- I notice you have the brass and the aluminum breather bolts. Other than the color what is the difference between the two? Which one might have fewer issues down the road? Which one might strip easier or which one might wear better. I do know that brass has a much less chance of corrosion to weather than aluminum, but since what its screwing into is aluminum ( I assume -- head/fins?) is there any likely hood of issues with dissimilar metals with the brass?

In other words - does any of this matter - what say you ?

One last thing -- What is the likely hood of oil or misting gasses coming our of those breathing tubes, and if so how bad?

(edit: I guess never mind on the second question - I guess I found the answer - which is possibly a little, but not bad - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...r-bolts-4.html )
We use aircraft aluminum, it is a bit stronger than the brass by about 8%.

All breather bolts should be tightened to 10-12 foot lbs per Harley specs.

In our tests these bolts do not fail until between 25-30 ft lbs.

Both will work fine with no problems in stripping or wear. (as long as you do not tighten beyond the 10-12 ft lbs)

I have the brass on mine and it does tarnish as all brass does...but it polishes up easily. The polished aluminum is more popular, probably because it matches the chrome.

We recommend blue (medium) threadlocker and have had no problems with the aluminum or brass. (HD uses the white threadlocker)

We have had both aluminum and brass bolts in & out of the shop bikes dozens of times...no problems, no need for anti-seize.

Just comes down to which you want for aesthetic preference. (the brass you will have to clean a bit more)

Regarding the misting, you already read the thread you referenced. Let me add a bit to that-

We have installed these on well over 100 bikes out of our shop...both Sportys and Twin Cams...we have never seen anything more than light misting when running HARD and HOT. Today it hit 94* here and nothing on my leg or the bike.

This is the same report we have gotten from hundreds of Customers who have these installed.

BUT, we have had a couple of customers report that they have gotten oil along the side of their bikes. One instance we did not get all the details, another was having problems with every breather system he has tried...his bke, for whatever reason, is just puking too much oil.

Hope the above info is helpful to you.

Quick Reply: Air cleaner ?