Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by wtrfwl havoc
I have the harley quick detach releases on it. It works well and when you remove the windshield the docking hardware comes off with it. It is a lil pricey though
I have one on my SuperLow. Works fine. It's only a lil pricey at the time of purchase - the memory fades after a while!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on Harley Quick Detach. It does look like chit, but it is effective for road trips, and once you get to destination, you can quickly that that fugly thing off before anybody else sees it.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Redneck
I've been researching the Memphis Shades batwing lately, and I think I'm gonna save my $ for that one. I've heard alot of good things and I think its time I take the plunge lol.
There's one for sale in the classifieds. It has a Hog Tunes set-up, too:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/multi...ml#post9580259

Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

sell your first born and get the QD compact

Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Swampdoc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the HD quick detach. It came with my bike or I wouldn't have gotten it because I don't like the way windshields look, but now I won't ride on the interstate without it. It comes off or on in about 30 seconds and makes a huge difference at highway speeds. I do tend to get a lot more helmet vibration with it on, but I'll take that over feeling like I'm about to blow off the back. None of the windshields are pretty (IMO), so I'd go with one that is quick and easy to remove.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another with the HD quick detach.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the HD quick detach and like it - - I have decided that comfort is more important to me that "looking good" - - I like to ride.

Balloo

Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM
GOLGO-13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Swampdoc
I have the HD quick detach. It came with my bike or I wouldn't have gotten it because I don't like the way windshields look, but now I won't ride on the interstate without it. It comes off or on in about 30 seconds and makes a huge difference at highway speeds. I do tend to get a lot more helmet vibration with it on, but I'll take that over feeling like I'm about to blow off the back. None of the windshields are pretty (IMO), so I'd go with one that is quick and easy to remove.
I had the same helmet vibration issue. I returned it right away because I couldn't stand it. The wind appeared to be coming from underneath the windshield and strait up into my helmet. It probably depends on how you sit on the bike. I guess I rather take backroads then deal with the helmet vibration.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wtrfwl havoc
I would recommend not getting the low profile windsheild and get the standard. I bought the low profile and had to get a standard replacement to change it. I thought it would look better, but it feels like I am riding through a tornado lol. Its a lil to short at least for me anyways.
same story here, I took the low one as I thought the standard one would be too high, while there is only 4 inches difference in height. Instead of buying a new one, I'll put another bigger piece of Lexan on the existing strut instead, so I 'll be able to shape it as I want it.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 AM
IBGary
Road Captain

I've gone back and forth with windshields. I came to the conclusion that the windshield, in my experience, takes the wind off the chest, but gives off a lot of wind turbulence at head level. That makes for more buffeting and noise. For about the last six yrs I've been riding without. My neck gets tired from the strain if I'm on the interstate at 70+ for very long, but I prefer the back roads anyway. Slowdown a little and you'll be fine and have a quieter ride because the air at helmet level is undisturbed.

Quick Reply: windshield