Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot bike makes horrible sound sometimes when starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
Another design flaw!
Any V-Twin will have the same problem. Harley's solution is the phenolic gear that gives way rather than pass the shock back to the starter. It's a design decision, not a flaw. They could have gone many other directions: heavier starter; steel gear; compression release. I'm sure there are other possibilites.

You don't like any American products! Please move to Mexico. Use dial-up to let us know how it goes.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by qweeksdraw
So can I or should Just replace just the starter clutch 80 bucks. or replace starter 250.00?
It depends on how much you figure your time and the aggravation are worth.

I take my time when working on the bike and don't try and rush through things, so changing the starter takes me ~6 hours. Replacing the starter assembly or starter clutch, both involve removing and reinstalling the starter. To do so involves opening the primary and usually removing the rear exhaust pipe. That means that reassembly involves redoing your clutch adjustments and depending on your exhaust getting it back together. In my case the exhaust and heat shield is a pain in the ***. It's also a good time, while things are more accessible, to do some cleanup, like cleaning the "other" ends of the battery cables and coating them with dielectric grease.

After having to pull the starter out of my bike twice in 14 months (I put on more miles than most people) I decided replacing the whole starter was a better option for me. But, 3 years ago when I bought the All ***** starter they were going for < $200.00.

BTW: This starter clutch issue tends to affect people that live in hot climates more so than others. The hotter the motor is when you do a restart, the more prone the motor is to "kick back" against the starter, which is what causes the starter clutch teeth to get sheared.

Last edited by cHarley; 03-25-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
well, I'm going off what I've read on this board, I've read about 3 major design flaws on sportsers just this week, sorry, but it pisses me off that HD would purposely put a defective starter on their motorcycles that craps out after 12,000 miles, this is why no one buys american products anymore.
Wife has a Kawi Eliminator 125. Nice Japanese bike. Can you help me get a plastic piece if I gave you the part number? This is a 2007 bike. Back in Nov, the dealership charged my CC for it and after 2 months, still no part. Constantly on back order. Called Kawi ad they didn't return my call after they investigated the matter. Placed another order but didn't give them any money. If I get a used part, I will cancel the order. Again, back order and no word on how long it will take.

Thanx but no thanx. I'll take the XL phenolic gear that I can replace with an aftermarket one for $250 over a part made of "unobtainium". If you want a bike with no issues, find yourself a custom bike maker and specify exactly what you want and be prepared to spend and spend and spend. I can help you since I am great at spending money, especially when it isn't mine. Every bike has some issue with it regardless of whether it is US, Japanese, Russian, etc, etc.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:06 AM
sccstu7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason it does this is because of the built up pressure left in the motor. Harley has decided not to put pressure relief valves in their motors to relieve this pressure. So the starter trying to move the pistons against this pressure is what causes the kick back and horrible noise. It worse on the 1200 than the 883. There is only one way to fix this.

1. Install pressure relief valves on your motor (the parts are cheap the labor is extensive).

However I have found 2 ways to make it kick less.

1. Roll the bike back and forth a bit before starting if you can.
2. Hit the starter button for just a quick second (not long enough to start it) and then start it up like usual.