Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M2 cyclone engine/transmission into a 90 Sportster frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
SadisticMedic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M2 cyclone engine/transmission into a 90 Sportster frame?

If you're on xlforum.org, you may have already seen this, but any answers would be appreciated.

This is actually the first time I have written down my plans for my bike. I have some questions that I know you guys can help answer.

I've found an almost complete, stock I believe, 1997 M2 Cyclone engine and trans that the current owner is selling because he wrecked the bike. From the pictures, everything looks perfect. I'll inspect it closer when I go to buy it. I have a 1990 XLH 1200 with a destroyed rear head. I was looking for a new head, but found the engine and transmission instead. I'm wondering what kind of problems I will run into or things I should look out for when doing this engine swap.

I know this engine is basically a 5 speed sportster engine with Lightening heads and other internal changes (lighter flywheels, etc). It seems like this should be a fairly simple swap. The only physical issue I know of is the 1/4" difference in bolt location for the front motor mount. I will have to put my current CV carb on the new engine because the current owner doesn't know what happened to the one that was on the engine. I assume I'm going to need to be re-jetting it. Right now it is stock for the 1990 engine. I also don't know if the M2 has a belt drive but I want to keep the chain drive. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

I think this model/year comes with the standard D cams, not N4 cams. My riding style is more cruising, not racing, so they should be fine for now. Besides, I have to have something to save for. 8^) Right now I have the stock pipes that the PO did a pretty crappy job of removing the pass thru pipe with SEII slip-ons. I want to replace them with Bassani Ceramic Radial Sweepers. Will these pipes be a problem later if I upgrade to N4 cams? Seems like these would have problems with reversion with more aggressive cams.

I have a Road King steel spoke front wheel that I plan on mounting on a 2"-4" over springer front end. Not exactly sure what length I need to get the stance I want yet.

Is there anything else I should be aware of with the engine swap, or any of my other plans? I will add pictures as the build progresses. I just have to figure out how to post pictures first.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 AM
SadisticMedic
4th Gear
Question

*crickets chirping*

Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

never done that swap or heard of it, but it sounds like it will be pretty good. I've done several other motor swaps though, and if you can fab some, you should be fine. The MOST important thing is keeping everything square. Measure and remeasure!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With hammer and torch in hand all is possible
haha

Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 PM
SadisticMedic
4th Gear
Smile

Have the hammer, and access to the torch... thus all things are possible.

Sorry for the size and blurriness of the picture. Cellphone pic in dark garage. What can I say.

I have the engine in the frame!

The rear mounts bolt up beautifully, which SHOULD keep the engine square. I haven't checked yet, but it is on the list. The rest of the mounts, not so much. The front, top mount bracket lines up with the left hole, but not the right. The HD front, bottom bracket lines up in all the holes but the aft, top hole. The HD top bracket is slightly off on the cant angles of the cylinders and the front hole is slightly aft and left. Otherwise, it's a piece of cake.

So far the wiring is going fairly well as well. Besides the obvious differences in connector used in the different years, everything seems to be and connect in the same place. On the 1990 engine there is a cable coming out of the inboard, aft side of the primary. I'm not exactly sure what the cable is coming from since it seems to be coming out behind the clutch. Maybe from the Stator or the Tach? It's a round 3 pin plug 2 Male one Female if you happen to know off the top of your head what it is so I don't have to look it up. The M2 does not have a cable coming out at the same place, so I have to figure out where it is coming out of the Buell so I can move the harness wires and change the plug or if I don't actually need it I can move on. Everything else has been pretty obvious.

The regulator on the Cyclone is mounted between the front lower motor mounts. The HD mounts are closer together than the Buell mounts. Enter the hammer! I was able to "adjust" the mount to fit between the HD mounts and now the regulator is tucked up in the front of the engine and I can remove the stock position regulator mounts, cleaning up the front of the frame, or mount an oil cooler there if it is needed.

This weekend I plan on finishing the rest of the connections. Clutch, mount the carb, ignition coil, battery, gas tank, and exhaust. I have a list at home, but off the top of my head, those are the major items.

I need to order a transmission sprocket since the 1990 is a chain drive and the Buell came with a pulley. Anyone know if a 1991-1992 sprocket will fit on the all 5 speed output shafts? Or are there differences in output shafts for different years of the 5 speed tranny? J&P Cycles has a sprocket that I THINK will work for about $35. That would be nice if it did.

Oh, another problem I have run into is that there is a bolt on the front of the oil filter mount on the right side that is laying flush against the right frame down tube. I'm not sure what this bolt is for, and I can't remove it to figure that out since it is up against the frame. I don't know if this is going to cause any problems yet, but I can see all sorts of vibration transfer going on here. Then again, since the Cyclone engine has a lighter flywheel, there is going to be a lot more vibration transfer period. I didn't even notice the vibration of the 1990 engine, so I am sure the new one will be fine. The can that holds the oil filter and probably the oil filter itself has a nice hole in it so I have to replace those. I just hope I don't have to take that bolt out to do it.

Lastly, I think the Buell foot pegs where mounted in the rear passenger location to promote the forward riding position. That means there are no mounts for footpegs or the rear master cylinder in the mid control location. I also believe the shifter may be reversed since the shift linkage was coming from behind not at or in front of the shift shaft. It would be cool if that means it's a 1-up and 4-down shifter rather than 1-down and 4-up shifter. It also means I have to find a set of forward controls that will work with the 1986-1990 Sportster that includes a master cylinder. Worst comes to worst, I can just buy a set of forward controls and fab my own mounts. Just wish the was a list of forward controls that had the ease of adaption. Like, don't even try a 2004+ Big Twin set, a 1991-2003 Sportster and 1986-1990 Big Twin is only off on one hole, etc. If anyone knows of this type of information, please, speak up!

I have a 1986-2003 Sportster shop manual, but I can't seem to locate a 1997 Buell Cyclone shop manual.

Otherwise, everything is going swimmingly. It definitely could have been worse. I'll keep posting as things progress.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

wow man, making good progress. I'm glad to hear the rear motor mount matches up, that's the important one. should be square from there. As far as the pulley swap, I know I've seen some guys on here who have done it on their newer bikes. The other option would be putting a pulley on the rear wheel, which would probably cost more. The bolt you're talking about I'm not sure what it is, but I wouldn't worry about vibration transfer if you're mounting the motor solid. Looking good so far though! nice job

Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

the forwards can be tricky. I'm pretty sure a set from 86-03 will work fine. Hopefully someone with a newer bike can chime in, but I think the newer sets have a plate that can come off so you can make your own motor mount plate. Mine were actually made for a softail, and I fabbed brackets that were the right size to bolt to my frame. Again, if you're doing a motor swap, making a couple plates for custom forward controls shouldn't take long

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Fun Project ... Keep us posted.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Sadthorn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, another problem I have run into is that there is a bolt on the front of the oil filter mount on the right side that is laying flush against the right frame down tube. I'm not sure what this bolt is for, and I can't remove it to figure that out since it is up against the frame. I don't know if this is going to cause any problems yet, but I can see all sorts of vibration transfer going on here. Then again, since the Cyclone engine has a lighter flywheel, there is going to be a lot more vibration transfer period. I didn't even notice the vibration of the 1990 engine, so I am sure the new one will be fine. The can that holds the oil filter and probably the oil filter itself has a nice hole in it so I have to replace those. I just hope I don't have to take that bolt out to do it.
Great project you have going on here. You're going to love that 80 rwhp motor!
That bolt is for the stabilizer linkage used on the Buell frame. Just remove the bolt and plug the hole. Yeah definitely replace the oil filter when your ready to fill the oil tank.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
SadisticMedic
4th Gear

Thank you sadthorn!

Got the clutch cable connected and adjusted. Mounted and wired the VOES. Removed old regulator wiring, and started the process of wiring in the new regulator. Tidied up the wiring runs under the gas tank.

I have an idea for how I can mount forward controls to my existing front bottom motor mounts. I'll draw the bracket up and post it later tonight. I wanted to put forward controls on Sheila (the bike's name). I just have to do it sooner.

I also found I inadvertently broke off a sensor that was threaded into the bottom of the oil filter mount. The plastic body broke off flush with the mounting collar making it even more of a be@tch to get out. I didn't even know it was there. Must have happened when I put the engine in the frame. I'm not sure what the sensor is, probably an oil temp sensor given its location.

I'll take a lot of pictures this weekend as work progresses.

Quick Reply: M2 cyclone engine/transmission into a 90 Sportster frame?