Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, yall were right

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Been There - Done That

Originally Posted by deepsea
I sold my 1200 sportie back in November and traded up to a road king. It's a very comfortable bike for long trips. I did about 350 miles one day a few months ago to go to a funeral. Damn I miss my sportie. Fast as a rocket ship and nimble as fighter.......
Don't get me wrong, but I miss my Sporty also. My Road King is great. It has exceeded all my expectations and I wouldn't undo anything for now. Some day -

Old 03-16-2012, 07:23 AM
djw88
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ployd4
I wouldn't buy a Yamaha for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Honda car. Americans need to buy as much American made products as possible. I understand that some companies assemble in America, but I would rather buy made in America by an American company.

Sportsters are great. Some day I may add a Road King.
Spoken like a true redneck lol jk, I'd buy more American products of any of them were good all modern American cars are garbage a lot are just copies of other countries cars with some new sheet metal never want to own one... only if its some classic muscle

Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had 2 sportys at the same time and it was cool, but kinda pointless in a way. Now when I had a sport bike and my sporty that was cool.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ployd4
I wouldn't buy a Yamaha for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Honda car. Americans need to buy as much American made products as possible. I understand that some companies assemble in America, but I would rather buy made in America by an American company.

Sportsters are great. Some day I may add a Road King.
Originally Posted by djw88
Spoken like a true redneck lol jk, I'd buy more American products of any of them were good all modern American cars are garbage a lot are just copies of other countries cars with some new sheet metal never want to own one... only if its some classic muscle
I can't agree with either of you..

Virtually any vehicle assembled in the US has as many US made parts as any US vehicle, and puts as much money in the US economy as US companies.. Especially seeing as Dodge is more than 50% foreign owned and Ford and Chevy are have foreign interests it makes little difference.. There is also the fact that US CEOs and execs spend a huge portion of there money on vacations to Europe and Japanese CEOs and Execs tend to vacation in the US we are probably just as well off buying Japanese vehicles if they are assembled in the US.. Most people only buy new cars occasionally, what would make more of an impact is buying US made clothes, and food. But just try to find that.

That being said, I don't know of any Japanese street bikes still built here, Honda took the Goldwing back to Japan..

And as far as American cars being crap, I will match my new Corvette against any car from any country at any price for performance, dependability, and bang for the buck.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Big_Redneck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know why I wont buy a Honda or Yamaha? Why buy their cars? They dont buy our rice!!!! Besides, lol, its more fun having a Ford and hearing all the acronyms people come up with for the name . Seriously though, I would consider buying a foreign car if they threw in a lifetime supply of Budweiser.....but that wont happen anytime soon lol.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Where did this post go from a rider missing their Sporty to import cars/parts...stick to the original post. Sportsters are fun to ride & why not have the "best of both worlds" by adding another to your stable...CraigsList is full of ones ready for Spring riding.

Oh, BTW, hate to burst any HD owner's bubble, but guess where alot of your "American assembled" bike's parts are made...

Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
tripn88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I love the Sporty for around town, but I'd like the extra weight/comfort for longer road trips....not sure what that has to do with wanting a Yamaha. I'd like a V-Rod as well for other reasons, and may get that too in a few years. The more the merrier, I'll only own a Harley in one version or the other.
I test rode a vrod the other day for my dad, i was not impressed(with the power) only 2 more cubic inches than a 1200 wasnt that more peppy. Honestly i thought i was on a metric considering the engine didnt shake and it was really smooth no vibration. If it wasnt for the loud 2into1 and the hd logos every where i thought the bike was having an identity crisis. Still a cool looking bike and some great technology just not for me.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
nciron883
Cruiser

As for made in America .. Most of the parts on are bikes are made from crap Asian metal

Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM
hig4s
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tripn88
I test rode a vrod the other day for my dad, i was not impressed(with the power) only 2 more cubic inches than a 1200 wasnt that more peppy. Honestly i thought i was on a metric considering the engine didnt shake and it was really smooth no vibration. If it wasnt for the loud 2into1 and the hd logos every where i thought the bike was having an identity crisis. Still a cool looking bike and some great technology just not for me.
V-rod dynos around 109hp @ 8200rpms to the wheel. The air-cooled 1200 engine is around 64hp @ 5600rpms to the wheel.

If it didn't seem like more power, then you were getting to the power band. You have to rev a V-rod up a little bit!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain

buy something wild & crazy, like this, it would be a night & day difference from the road king. Who cares if it not from USA, Japanese need work too. Besides The Prime USA exports are death, war, weapons, paper Fiat Money and investment scams, staged terror attacks, poision food, garbage , Propaganda, drugs, and diesease, Not manufactured goods. And that's what makes America great or some such nonsense.

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 03-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: OK, yall were right