Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freeway Riding. I'm DONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 AM
cagedodger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeway Riding. I'm DONE!!!

I have a 09 nightster and I commute to work on a regular. I have a close call almost every time I ride. People slamming on brakes, people coming into my lane. Today had a bigass dumptruck throwing **** into my face at 60mph then the ******* merges while im trying to pass him up. Got around him and ran into crazy *** people and more dump trucks driving reckless. Highway is crazy

Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you taken a riders course or even the advance riders course? You learn a lot of safety tips and just general knowledge that can REALLY improve the experience of the ride. I rode for a year before taking the course. I honestly didnt think there were going to teach me a thing.
The difference from before and after was surprising. I know a lot of the time it seems like the only thing we're in control of out on the road is ourselves, but you would be amazed at the difference it makes when you ride a certain way.
I used to be terrified of the freeway also, I experienced everything you posted and then some. But after learning some riding tips and techniques, the ride is a lot nicer and I feel much more at ease on the freeway.
Im just saying, dont give up on the open road just cause a few idiots get in your way. Take a look at what you could do to make the ride better
Stay safe out there

Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 AM
cagedodger
Advanced

Yes I took the riders course at a harley dealer a few years ago. I havent took the advanced riders course but that sounds good

Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,440 Posts

cagedodger, changing your user id might help.

Seriously, where do you live?

Sounds like you are on the freeway during main commute times?

Ditto on what CavSportster wrote.

I do a LOT of riding...on the interstate (freeway), country roads, and in the city. Each has it's own unique challenges.

I am pretty sure the freeway is the safest...it's been years since I read any studies, but I am pretty sure that was the conclusion. Make sense too. No one running stop signs, red lights, turning out of driveways, failing to yield on a left turn, far less deer and other critters.

Your experience may vary.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 AM
cagedodger
Advanced

I dont know about your freeway but mine is pretty chaotic at about 4-6.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 AM
waldhorn
Cruiser

Sorry about your commute. Have you thought about driving a dump truck to work?
Anyway, stay safe; we are here with you.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I know what you mean op. It doesn't feel very good to get hit with lose gravel or sand falling from dump trucks. Seems like some of them do it on purpose too.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We all have spots we'd prefer to not ride. You don't like the highway, don't ride on the highway. Mine is I95 from the Baltimore Beltway to the Harbor Tunnel. HATE that section, giant trucks, lousy roads, overpasses, wind, noise... I pucker up every time I hit that one stretch. Other than that the highway is my favorite type of riding, but not on my Sportster - the VROD.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Commuting myself on weekdays on the highway, about 100 miles back & forth, this my way of doing stuff:

- riding at 65-70 mph instead of the authorized speed limit of 75 mph right here. It allows you to ride more comfy, and also allows you to be more aware of what surrounds you. I just have to get out of my bed 10 minutes earlier, that's it

- I let a safety distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me, that distance becomes longer when speed increases. When a moron comes there in between, I just brake/slow my speed and put that safety distance again. Always checking trucks signal lights before they change lanes.

- checking constantly my mirrors, to evaluate the speed of the incoming traffic on the lane at my both sides, to be sure there is room when I have to pass a car/truck/bus/other bike.

riding in cities:

- wearing a good pair of boots with solid heels, to kick the doors of those guys/gals in Porsche/Audi/Mercedes SUV's who didn't give way when they had to. They're insured anyway and it decreases my stress.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 AM
landonm11
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know the feeling

had a hit and run done on me yesterday... it was the scariest thing i think i have ever encountered in my life... i was on a highway exchange yesterday when a ford f250 thought it would be fun or maybe the guy was in a hurry idk... but as i was merging on the highway (on a one lane on ramp with concrete barriers on each side btw) i was on the right side of the one lane when he came up ***** to the wall hauling *** and passed me on the on ramp and clipped my left shoulder with his mirror which then sent me into the concrete barrier causing my bike and my right hand and leg to grind on the side of the barrier... thank God that i was wearing my riding gloves and some dickie work jeans so injuries to me... my chrome pipes, pegs and passenger pegs on the other hand didnt fare to well... have no idea what else is damaged yet... the front exhaust pipe is bent to hell!... but i didnt go down(i was on the the lucky ones) was able to get off the wall and ride the bike to a safe stopping place called the cops and all that jazz... we just have to remember its us against them when we are riding out there never take anything for granted on the road always be ready for the unexpected!

ride safe out there man... i hope you can find a safer way to work tho good sir!

Quick Reply: Freeway Riding. I'm DONE!!!