Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freeway Riding. I'm DONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey05
I, honestly, find that the faster you go, the safer you are.. that might sound contradictory but if you're comfortable going faster than traffic all the problems are in front of you. I'm not saying go 120 every chance you get.. but if traffic is going 70 and you go 80 its easy to pass people and i find it easier to stay out of trouble.
Plus, you get to better riding faster.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by cagedodger
...I have a close call almost every time I ride...
I personally believe that anyone who has this many close calls is simply not paying enough attention to their environment! Period!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM
AladinSane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can not Live to Ride if you are not alive.

No matter what anybody says: If you are not comfortable or not confident do not do it.
Riding smart means knowing your limits. If you can not tolerate being on the freeway do not do it. I would much rather wave to you on the back roads then read about you in the paper.

Advanced MSF course, YES. Even if you never return to the freeway this is a good idea.

Plan another route to work if you can. I just got my FXDB a few weeks ago and am still getting acustomed to it. It is a much different machine then what I am used to riding. I time leaving to and from work to avoid the rush and I also take the long way home to avoid a few spots I am not comfortable with. I am still taking right turns too wide.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey05
I, honestly, find that the faster you go, the safer you are.. that might sound contradictory but if you're comfortable going faster than traffic all the problems are in front of you. I'm not saying go 120 every chance you get.. but if traffic is going 70 and you go 80 its easy to pass people and i find it easier to stay out of trouble.
Plus, you get to better riding faster.
This is what I have been doing...screw a ticket, much prefer that.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

On the highway I ride in the far right lane and just do the speed limit or 5 over.

Only time I move is when someone is merging on from a ramp, I'll go to the next lane to the left until I clear them or they clear me, then back to the far right lane.

Always look ahead and be mindful of what's around you....always anticipate a way out if something was to happen.

I have never ever had an issue on the highway.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IBGary
I try to stay out of the middle. In the left lane you only need to watch your front, back and right. In the right there are alway people merging into your lane, either getting on or getting off.
The rider safety course was great, I took it with my first three bikes.
Very good points, I try to use left lane as much as possible (if there is one) even in town.
I didn't start out this way but any more the highway feels like the safest place to ride. Everybody going the same direction, roughly the same speed, nobody trying to turn left comin' at you, nobody pulling out from a side street. Plus I can out-accelerate, out-manuver & out-break just about any cage on the road, so re-positioning to a safer spot when things get wierd is pretty quick & easy.
I've also learned in the last 3 yrs that, in a big way your ride is what you make it. Looking back at every close call I could see a way I could have avoiding it.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I'll avoid freeway riding through the city @ all costs...not because I'm scared...just don't want to deal w/same thing you're experiencing (crazy cage's coming from everywhere, trucks, debris, etc.). Another reason I keep the bagger on rural hwy & retired in suburbia. Sux OP has to deal w/the environment & don't think changing work commute time(s) would help??? Maybe depart 15-30 min sooner both ways? I know the roads in Omaha change drastically from 0630 to 0700...worth a looksee.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PasadenaNightster
I ride on the 110 fwy in downtown Los Angeles, which was just voted the worst freeway traffic in the U.S. and it's always crazy. Angelenos are terrible at driving. I also lane split since it's legal in California, but I've also had my close calls, and have broken a car's mirror or two when people get to close to me as I'm splitting.
I ride So Cal freeways every day as well, but have you considered commuting using the Metro Rail Gold Line from your area (Pasadena)? Whenever I have to go to downtown LA I normally take the MetroLink from Fullerton into LA Union Station then switch to the Metro Rail Red Line which goes through downtown all the way to North Hollywood. An all-day MetroRail pass is only $5, it's a whole lot less stress, and there are a number of stops in Pasadena (from east-to-west: Sierra Madre Villa / Allen / Lake / Memorial Park / Del Mar / Fillmore / Mission / Highland Park / Southwest Museum / Heritage Square / Lincoln-Cypress / LA Union)...anyway, just a thought.

Last edited by TRacer; 03-15-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
PasadenaNightster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRacer
I ride So Cal freeways every day as well, but have you considered commuting using the Metro Rail Gold Line from your area (Pasadena)? Whenever I have to go to downtown LA I normally take the MetroLink from Fullerton into LA Union Station then switch to the Metro Rail Red Line which goes through downtown all the way to North Hollywood. An all-day MetroRail pass is only $5, it's a whole lot less stress, and there are a number of stops in Pasadena (from east-to-west: Sierra Madre Villa / Allen / Lake / Memorial Park / Del Mar / Fillmore / Mission / Highland Park / Southwest Museum / Heritage Square / Lincoln-Cypress / LA Union)...anyway, just a thought.
Hi Tracer,
Yes, i have considered it, and even tried it a couple of times. Here is my gripe with it though, it takes me about 45min to an hour to get to work because of the stops the gold line takes and having to wait for a shuttle to then take me from union station to work. If i ride my bike it takes me about 15 minutes, and about half hour if i drive.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Living here in Southern California, I read obituaries of motorcyclists almost every week. Most of the deaths take place while riding at night, the others primarily on the freeways.

As a surfer, I'd rather not surf surrounded by sharks, same goes for riding the freeways. At freeway speeds, any accident is going to be serious.

As for riding at night, fugeddaboutit, unless absolutely necessary.

John

Quick Reply: Freeway Riding. I'm DONE!!!