Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
ironraven
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics

For those who don’t want to read about the install or more insight on my personal opinions, below is a quick pros and cons list.

Pros:
- Top notch build quality (great welds and powder coating)
- Dimpled bars for easy stock fit
- Internal wiring
- Outstanding product support
- Quick email and phone support
Cons:
- No tracking numbers on shipped products

To start these bars are going on a 2011 Iron 883 I have several pictures included. Some of the pictures are not very clear as I used my phone and many are taken in my garage under low light.

As I stated the bars arrived and you can immediately see the quality in the build. Nice thick bars with precision welds covered by a no drip or smudge powder coat … I was nervous to put a scratch on em!

My first install attempt ended in disaster! You may have read another forum post by me venting my anger at myself after having a bolt snap off on the inside of the bars. I attempted to countersink them out but broke that then I attempted to have the dealership take a look and they wouldn’t even touch them (stealership not being helpful?? Surprise surprise) I was at a complete loss. I emailed west coast T bars and explained my situation. My bike is my primary transportation and my old Truck is in the shop making my bike my only transportation to be honest I did not expect much help and was really surprised when I received a phone call shortly after my email!
I cannot tell you in the last 10 years when I have had any kind of customer service much less an actual call from a company about their product… all that to say West Coast T bars handles there business and takes care of their customers.
So I ship my bars to them and they ship me out a new set right away.

Bars arrive and I get them installed no problems.

Did you have to get new or extended______?:
- I used stock throttle cables
- I used stock brake cable .. I did not bend it but moved rings holding the cable.
- I did extend the electronics but could have used stock would have been a tight fit but with a tank lift possible.

I was not sure about speedo relocation and struggled with side mount or bracket and mounted off bars so I ended on the Roland sands option and I am very happy with the outcome.

I am 5’9 180lbs “what I was looking for in new bars”

I wanted to raise about 2 inches from stock and maybe an inch and a half more pullback or bring the bars in close to have my back in a more upright position I also did not want to sacrifice control or being able to “throw” the bike around.

The West Coast T bars accomplished exactly that! Coming right out of the tree brings them “back” into my body giving my back a more upright position. The bars are said to be 8inch rise mine were about 9inchs from the tree this was also perfect keeping my hands a little below my shoulders giving me comfort for long rides while retaining control and rigidness.

The bars feel extremely comfortable on long rides and the handling characteristics are rigid and tight just like stock.
I went through 3 setups before this. Biltwell z bars, Biltwell windowed bars, and 2 inch risers on stock bars. Do not get me wrong Biltwell makes a great bar but the comfort and placement I was looking for could not be reached by the above bars. I did put at least 400 miles on each set… except the z bars I knew right away they would not work for me.

So there you have it! More opinions about bars that will probably only further confuse you if your swimming through post wondering what setup you want BUT I wrote this in the off chance your looking like I was and maybe your around my size and maybe my descriptions are what you’re looking for and in that case I can save you some headache and some money!!
These bars feel, look, and ride amazing.

Attached Thumbnails West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0150.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0151.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0152.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0155.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0156.jpg  

Last edited by ironraven; 03-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
ironraven
Advanced

having a hard time getting pics to load

Attached Thumbnails West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0168.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0165.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0164.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0161.jpg   West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics-imag0159.jpg  

Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
akahny
Novice

good info, thanks for posting. I think I will check those out, they look good, although, I would like a lower rise for my 48.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
ironraven
Advanced

Originally Posted by akahny
good info, thanks for posting. I think I will check those out, they look good, although, I would like a lower rise for my 48.
yeah I did a lot of searching and as far as a whole unit (no risers or attatchments) 8inch was low as I could find but as stated already for me it came out perfect.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Nice look, Really Nice ride you have there.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

super nice dude. only thing i would have done would have been chopping 2 or so inches off the ends to make them a bit more narrow but i'm all about skinny so don't mind me.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bars look pretty good and I'm not usually a fan of T bars.

Originally Posted by akahny
To save you some hassle these will not work on your 48. These bars mount direct to the tree where the risers would normally bolt up. The 48's have those stupid integrated risers.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
ironraven
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmxatv
super nice dude. only thing i would have done would have been chopping 2 or so inches off the ends to make them a bit more narrow but i'm all about skinny so don't mind me.
wow 2more inches off would be pretty crazy feels like there pretty narrow already... but honestly now I want to see it!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
darthsportster
Intermediate

I too have a 2011 iron 883 and I was looking at doing the Arlen Ness fairing as well as the West coast t bars. now i was thinking going along the lines of 12" so that the bars go above the top of the fairing, but @ 12" would i possibly need longer/new wires? is 12" too much for a sporty?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Jonaskinn
Stage I
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by darthsportster
I too have a 2011 iron 883 and I was looking at doing the Arlen Ness fairing as well as the West coast t bars. now i was thinking going along the lines of 12" so that the bars go above the top of the fairing, but @ 12" would i possibly need longer/new wires? is 12" too much for a sporty?
Just as a reference the SOA bikes have 9 inch tbars and that comes right to the top of the fairing. If you go 12 inches up I believe you would have to run all new cables, honestly I don't know how this guy didn't run new cables. I found that you could come up no more than 2 inches over stock with the stock cables. Glad to hear you're thinking about doing this to your bike, alot of people love the look but are scared to be called posers or whatever. Good Luck

Quick Reply: West Coast T-Bars Iron 883 review / pics