Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaning towards ape hangers.. installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leaning towards ape hangers.. installation questions

I've always wanted a pair of apes but I've always said maybe on my next bike. Well I'm really thinking of getting a pair now, mostly leaning towards the z-bars (really don't know what height to get, I'm 6' 1" if anyone has suggestions). I don't really have a wide arsenal of tools, but my roommate has a toolbox or two (we live in a condo, so no garage, just a basement).

Few questions:
1. Is this something I could do myself, tool-wise?
2. How do I know what else I'm going to need to get, besides the bars themselves? (cables, etc?)
3. Will my mirrors look flat out dumb on top of 8"+ ape hangers?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can do it yourself with basic mechanics hand tools. your best bet would be to mount the bars and then measure for cables and wires, or buy a cable and wire kit to fit your bars and bike. being verticaly endowed I would suggest 16" apes others will give different opinions but that is my $.02. I am 5'11" and I went with 18's, but I have had several sets of apes and wanted something a little extreme. When selecting your bars don't go cheap expetialy if you are doing internal wiring. good luck let us know how it works out.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
ripto
Road Master

I think technically here in CT (or maybe it was NY) your hands couldn't be above your shoulders, legally.

What cables/wires would be affected by the taller bars? All that cables/wires for everything on the grips? i.e. clutch, front brake, turn signals, horn, starter, engine cutoff switch?

I've found this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...questions.html
This makes me think there's a lot more involved that what it sounds like.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put 12" apes on my bike myself and it took me a while to do it but I did! I had to replace the clutch and front brake cables. If you go higher than 12", you will most likely have to replace the throttle/idle cables.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Just finished putting 10" apes on my 2002 Sporty. Here's what I needed:

Bars themselves
New cables: clutch, throttle/idle, brake
Ratchet set, combo wrenches, screwdrivers

All the wiring worked, although the turn signals were a little tight. There is a lot coiled up inside the headlight that can be pulled out. Might go with a relocation kit in a little while once I build up some cash.

A second pair of hands helps, and a decent flashlight or something like that.

Overall, it is a pretty simple job, just a tad bit time consuming. I'll have a post coming up showing off the new set-up with part numbers and everything for my bike.

I used the 10" mini-apes from the old Wide Glide or the '06-'08 Street Bob.

Edit: For what it's worth, the new set up is 110% more comfortable than the old stock bars. Being 6'2'' it was too much of stretch with the old ones. I feel a lot more at home on these. No problems with the apes, but I would recommend the polyurethane bushings for the risers (I'll be doing those soon too) because the old rubber ones are flexible. Manageable, but it is a bit wobbly if you get on the bars hard. Handling is great as well, no complaints there.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 03-03-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 AM
DFsporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1). You can do it yourself...I've done it twice myself (and I'm a girl) lol...I'm 5'6 and went with 14" and I think I could've went taller...get yourself a service manual and take your time...I just installed some Road 6 Custom 14" apes and managed to strip the threads in the primary cover where the cluth cable attaches and I broke the front brake light switch (forgot to put in the cardboard piece). Even with all the fvck ups I did still feels good I did it myself.

Don't hesitate and get after it...you won't be disappointed.

2). I have found if you stay at 10" you won't have to change any cables...just bend the **** out of your brake line..anything taller you will have to change cables and extend wires.

3). just flip your mirrors

Last edited by DFsporty; 03-04-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

What year Wide Glide bars work on the Sportys?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 AM
ripto
Road Master

DFsporty mentioned it, but did you follow the service manual Scuba? I've got a copy of the HD one but it seems to be rather vague at times.

Where would I get new cables?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
cpracing519
Road Master

I have Licks Cycles 10" Z bars on my bike. I only had to replace the front brake cable. Magnum Shielding makes a "build your own" kit($55). Steal braided. I bought the 6ft line and cut it down to around 34". Other cables I just cut a few wire ties off and moved them up over top of the front tank mount to get a little more length out of them.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
What year Wide Glide bars work on the Sportys?
I used part number 56079-93T, from the 2002-2005 Wide Glide, or the 2006-2008 Street Bob. They're the chrome equivalent of the black bars that you can get for the Nightster/Iron.

Chrome Mini's

Satin Black

Quick Reply: Leaning towards ape hangers.. installation questions