Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"smart" security system

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
fardept
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "smart" security system

The security system (with siren) on the Iron 883 is malfunctioning and doesn't disarm with the fob or the PIN. All the dealer can tell me is bring it in and we'll have a look. That's fine, I say, but can you tell me how to disconnect the siren (which is optional to the basic system) so I don't have to hear it while I'm loading and hauling it out? "That might void your warranty on the system if you (I) disconnect anything." I kind of get that BUT can anyone tell me if the siren (not the entire system connection) is easy enough to get at so that I could unplug it at home and plug it back when I'm around the corner from the dealer? That thing is LOUD! Thanks

Attached Thumbnails "smart" security system-my-bike.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
MrCookie
Tourer

I would say just disconnect the battery. Would kinda suck trying to explain to the cop why the bike in the back of the truck has an alarm going off.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
fardept
Cruiser

that too. The system has its own battery that kicks in if thieves disconnect the bikes' battery trying to disarm the system. If I can disconnect the siren I can move it to the dealer with only the lights flashing.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM
GlidingFree
Novice

If the siren is the same as the one on my dads Road King it has it's own separate battery so disconnecting the main battery on the bike won't do you any good. I know to unplug the siren we had to disconnect the main fuse with the alarm already disarmed. If you try this with the system armed it will go off. So I'm not sure what options you really have other then taking it up there with it on. Maybe you could get them to pick the bike up so they have to deal with it.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try replacng the battery in the FOB, worked for me.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
fardept
Cruiser

first thing I tried.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to tape some foam over the alarm so its not as loud lol... alarms arent designed to be disabled like you are trying to do to move it. but like glidinfree said see if they will come get it. My local harley shop has their own truck and trailer.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 PM
MrCookie
Tourer

I would go with the foam over the alarm to muffle it. or have them pick it up. I wonder, if you disconnect the battery. How long till the battery in the alarm dies.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 AM
fardept
Cruiser

foam over the alarm is a good idea, but where is the alarm? I think the alarm module itself could be unplugged if I knew where it was. It's impossible to tell where it's coming from when it's going off.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 AM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if there is a warranty then I would get them to pick it up and handle the default from beginning to end. if they dont then send one of us in there to shop and when the salesman thinks he got a sale, then start telling them how the warranty is important and that you've heard they skate out of their responsibility. leave them with "well i'll consider it" and send another on of us in there the next day.
pretty soon they will understand that we actually considered the warranty a part of the sale.

Quick Reply: "smart" security system