Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Turn Signal Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 PM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Turn Signal Mirrors

I've been wanting these mirrors since the day I saw them. I think they look really cool and they are definitely an attention getter (which doesn't exactly hurt when youre riding). I ordered them today, in black.

I just wanted everyone else's input on these. Does anyone else have them on their ride or something similiar? I haven't seen any on this site yet but I'm sure I'm just not looking hard enough.

What do you all think?

Attached Thumbnails HD Turn Signal Mirrors-mirror.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Missexeccph (11-27-2016)
Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought that'd be a cool way to lose the turn signals, but the instructions I looked at (not sure if it's for the same mirror) says they won't function properly if you remove the turn signals?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dwagar
I thought that'd be a cool way to lose the turn signals, but the instructions I looked at (not sure if it's for the same mirror) says they won't function properly if you remove the turn signals?
Not sure on 06's but I know for my model year bike it's not the case. What happens is your blinkers still work, but they blink really fast, like they would on a car if you have a bulb burnt out. This is because the LEDs offer less resistance (I think) then a regular turn signal.

However, and I'm an example. The sportster will "learn" your turn signals. For instance I don't have mine hooked up in the front, and the blinkers went really fast during my first 5 minutes on the bike to indicate I had blinkers out. Then it went back to a normal speed.

But I don't know if it's the same on your bike. Worst thing you have fast blinking signals or you need to get a modulator or whatever its called.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
CAVSportster
Cruiser

From the information that I could gather, these mirrors replace the OEM turn signals and they also function as running lights. They plug right in to the OEM wiring so no cutting is needed.
As far as if they blink faster than normal or not I really dont know.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are standard equipment on my VROD. You might need a modulator to keep them from the fast blink as described but that is super easy - jpcycles has plenty of what you need in that area. They're cool, and clean up the front of your machine nicely.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv heard they werent very visable during the day, Im not sure if thats something your worried about.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser

Schwingding, doesnt the Vrod come with the mirrors that have the signal in the actual stem of the mirror?

As far as how visible they are during the day, Im not too concerned with that because I often use hand signals anyways.
The current turn signals are some what blocked because of my Quarter Fairing, so they only show about half as you can see in the picture.

Attached Thumbnails HD Turn Signal Mirrors-100_0529.jpg  
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by CAVSportster
Schwingding, doesnt the Vrod come with the mirrors that have the signal in the actual stem of the mirror?
Yes, but that's a minor fact if there ever was one. Wiring issues are the same. I have replaced them with these - which are actually in the mirror..

Old 03-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Utah_HD_Rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schwingding, those are sharp looking, who makes them/where'd you get them, please and thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Utah_HD_Rider
Schwingding, those are sharp looking, who makes them/where'd you get them, please and thanks

You can find them at http://chromeglow.com in the mirrors section. Be warned though, there are no instructions so you'll have to fiddle with them to determine which leads are which as they have a brake light function as well (which is really cool, btw). The red brake LEDs are invisible in the mirror's surface until activated. Sadly I cannot recall from memory which wire is which.

I should have written an instruction manual for these things because the brake lamp feeds back into the turn signals and shorts out the HD turn signal circuit. The way I rectified this was to install a $0.60 radio shack diode in the brake feed and in the turn signal feeds. A diode will allow current to flow in only one direction. Once I had this all hammered out everything worked fine, you can buy a bag of low voltage diodes at radio shack for about three bucks.

If you only want to run them as run/turns and forego the brake function you won't have any of these wiring issues.

Quick Reply: HD Turn Signal Mirrors