Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sportster Fabrication

So perusing the sportster threads has shown me many incredible bikes and projects that I completely envy not being able to do. Having free time in the evenings and on weekends I would like develop skills in fabrication. Can anyone point me in a good starting direction? Tools needed, specific tool use/capability, or maybe even a "school" or something that teaches at the hobbyist level at the hobbyist price?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
JasonDeal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angle grinder, super versatile tool

Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to school for Bodywork, so that helped a little. I always utilize youtube and such. The best way to learn is hands on. Go buy yourself a decent craftsman tool set and go from there. I don't consider myself a customizer - just a guy that uses solder, a grinder and a whole bunch of zipties. A wise mechanic at my old job said something simple and profound when I asked him how he could do such hard, intense car work. He responded, "It's just nuts and bolts." Think about it and goodluck!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
blhill1
Cruiser

You could always search ebay for old damaged sportster parts and practice on them.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
domantori
Cruiser

If you mean fabrication as in welding, I can help. To simplify, MIG is the easiest but is pretty limited to inside due to the shielding gas. Stick is good for in or out but is not as pretty (if you care) as MIG or TIG. TIG requires the most finesse but produces the best looking welds if done right. Lots of stuff on YouTube and google. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a machinist and have been working with metal for a long time. Be careful because you can easily hurt yourself. If you don't have someone to teach you then go and take a welding class, machining class at your local tech college. Usually only a few hundred dollars and they let you work on their equipment for your own projects. Some good tools to have, mig welder, tap and die set, grinder, sockets, wrenches, calipers. You can do a lot with inexspensive hand tools like files, hammer, etc. You can weld, cut and heat metal with an oxy-acteleyne torch. But again you can blow yourself up if you don't know the proper way to use the torch.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM
domantori
Cruiser

Good advice. I lit myself on fire and burned my finger down to the bone with gauntlet gloves on. Be smart and be safe. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all learned at some point.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by domantori
Good advice. I lit myself on fire and burned my finger down to the bone with gauntlet gloves on. Be smart and be safe. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all learned at some point.
I'm trying to visualize that...any pic's?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

lol yeah I've caught several pairs of jeans on fire, and had blisters on my fingers because I couldn't get my gloves off fast enough. You've always gotta remember what's still hot too. It's pretty easy to rest your hand on or grab something that's still the temperature of the sun.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM
domantori
Cruiser

Ha! No pics. I was wearing my welding jacket and rested my arm on a hot piece and my jacket flamed up. Luckily I put myself out quickly.

Quick Reply: Sportster Fabrication