Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 AM
quixote
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
....Can you tell at all by looking at the top side or did you have them add additional foam that is obvious?
Check out the seat. It's an '08 Nightster seat that's been reworked by MeanCityCycles with memory foam. It looks exactly the same as a stock only a whole lot more comfortable. A really nice daily rider.

My Mustang Wide Vintage w/Backrest is in a bag in the closet unless I'm doing a trip over 400 miles round trip.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man! How does the memory foam feel / act compared to stock? I figured it would just compress easier and take a conforming set to your *** until it's relieved of pressure. I couldn't really figure how it would help on long rides, but the memory foam I am use to messing with is probably a lot "softer" than they use.

...so it's all about memory foam and not gel then? I'm actually thinking of just modding her side of the Badlander now and leaving my spots alone for the time being.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
quixote
Cruiser

The memory foam that MeanCity uses is dense and it takes about 10 minutes for it to conform to your butt bones, then it's like you forget about the seat altogether. Compared to stock, the memory foam distributes your weight better and it is constantly taking up the vibes and the shock from the road.

I don't have personal experience with gel, but I do know a few guys that do and they said that the gel will get so hot that you can't sit on it if it's in the sun a long time. I live in the desert so gel ain't for me.

There's a couple more pics showing the Nightster seat in my profile.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Thanks man, you about got me sold.

Do you recall turn around time? We're going on a long ride in 2-3 weeks so I had better get on it so as to avoid the $50 upcharge for priority turn around.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
quixote
Cruiser

You need to call them because their workload varies, but just the transit time both ways is going to make getting it back in time pushing it.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM
medic2931
Tourer

I didn't expedite mine and turn around time is going to be at least a month. Can't wait to get it back!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Originally Posted by quixote
Check out the seat. It's an '08 Nightster seat that's been reworked by MeanCityCycles with memory foam. It looks exactly the same as a stock only a whole lot more comfortable. A really nice daily rider.

My Mustang Wide Vintage w/Backrest is in a bag in the closet unless I'm doing a trip over 400 miles round trip.

Hey man, would you mind measuring the "flat" part of the seat behind where you sit? I just want to compare to stock to see if they moved the riding back any. I'd like to do that, but not have them take it on up to the tank like that. Some extra stitching would be sweet too. Is the cover as tight as it was before? Happen to have any top down pics?

Last edited by Jackal; 03-04-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Another vote for Mean City Cycles. I had a seat on another bike modified by them and it was night and day difference for comfort. Or check craigslist, the seat I have now is a Mustang Regal Duke that retails for $320 and ended up finding it on craigslist slightly used for $125

Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
What was the turn around time or did you expedite? Can you tell at all by looking at the top side or did you have them add additional foam that is obvious?
+1 Mean City Cycle, they did my VTX1800 seat. Call them + talk to Allen, let him know what you want to accomplish. That look you have now is great, don't blame you for wanting to keep it. They work by appt only, so your seat must be there on appt date + it's done same day. Took 6 days total for me to them + back. Might be able to PU a cheap rpl here or fleabay, then sell for what yah paid when yours comes back. MCC cust service is the GREATEST!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:14 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a cheap one, sure there's more. Also, it'll give yah the box for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...#ht_500wt_1361

Quick Reply: Seat mods?