Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel/oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 AM
CS Mactavish
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel/oil issue

Sorry so long.

Background

1998 883 Hugger with big bore kit. Bike has been running really well. A few weeks back gas started leaking out of the carb overflow kit, over time it would do this even when petcock was in the off position, but not as much. The kickstand lets the bike lean far to the left and I thought this might contribute to the float not working up to par (opinions?). It had not leaked for more than a week (Petcock in off position) and I was thinking/hoping that maybe it had just been junk on the needle valve and/or it's seat that worked it's way lose. I was still planning on a rebuild, just not as urgently.

I have a carb kit and parts cleaner bucket and had plans to rebuild it in the near future. Also, I had recently picked up oil/filter and plans to do that in the near future as well.

This morning I go out to the garage and there is a strong smell of fuel, I assume that it's leaking again. I look under and there is nothing in the bowl I have under the overflow tube. I look further back and there is a decent sized wet spot under the bike, I touch it, smell my hand and it smells like fuel. I assumed that the fuel had come out of the carb and run back on the engine and down further back. I start it, a puff of smoke comes out of the left side of the jugs, only once (ideas? Head gaskets?) and pull it out to the patio, it didn't want to idle without the enricher on (it is colder here today than it has been, just assumed it was her cold nature). I shut it off and checked the oil, it's overflowing and smells like fuel.

Just want to make sure I'm thinking straight and not overlooking anything. I'm thinking I need.....

a new petcock, one that actually shuts off the fuel.
clean and rebuild carb
drain and change oil and filter. (Should I drain/change run a few minutes and do it again? If so, can I use a cheaper oil for the disposable change?)

Anything else I've overlooked?

Thanks
CS

Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Your carb situation probably filled cyl's w/fuel (waterfall) - start w/carb rebuild.

You're a braver man than me - starting bike in garage w/fuel everywhere is recipe for disaster...

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
CS Mactavish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Your carb situation probably filled cyl's w/fuel (waterfall) - start w/carb rebuild.

You're a braver man than me - starting bike in garage w/fuel everywhere is recipe for disaster...
You are correct....I didn't communicate it well, I backed it out and started it outside and pulled it onto our patio.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Carb probably leaked fuel into intake manifold, then drained into cylinders and ended up in the crankcase. Your oil pump probably sent it into the oil tank when you started it.

I'd definitely rebuild the carb, and check your petcock to see if it actually shuts off. I left my petcock on one time and carb overflowed and dripped down right side of bike.

John

Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If this happened as described with the petcock in the off position, the petcock diaphragm is leaking and allowing fuel to flow through the vacuum line into the carb.
You need to rebuild or replace the petcock.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

what they said...petcock and carb rebuild (don't forget to replace the float, if needed)..also change the oil,run it, and change the oil again....

Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM
CS Mactavish
Intermediate

The rubber Petcock seal/gasket is buggered up between the 'run' hole and the bottom hole. So was allowing fuel to flow even in the off position. Who would have this gasket? Dealer? NAPA? Carb is apart and in the parts cleaner tank.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Harley lists a diaphragm service kit for your model as Part # 61200-97.
Last time I looked this part up several years ago it was about $9.00. It's still available, but it now has an MSRP of $25.99. At that price, I suggest you replace the complete petcock assembly.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 PM
CS Mactavish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
Harley lists a diaphragm service kit for your model as Part # 61200-97.
Last time I looked this part up several years ago it was about $9.00. It's still available, but it now has an MSRP of $25.99. At that price, I suggest you replace the complete petcock assembly.
Than you!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

don't leave the carb in the cleaner tank any longer than necessary...the carb has a protective coating on it that the cleaner will take off after awhile...