Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Earnie1200C
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking of putting the PCV with auto tune on my wife's 09 1200C when I change the pipes to the V&H Shortshots and the A/C to the AN BSII. My question is, if you use the auto tune with the PCV do you still have to calibrate the TPS or will the auto tune do it? I don't have a problem with doing it but wanted to know if it will adjust itself. I could go with out the auto tune and get it dynoed but the closest dyno to me is at least 70 miles away. Any input would be helpful.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Jackal
Road Master

70 mi. ain't ****. Sounds like a FUN ride.

I haven't looked into auto tune at all, but I'm thinking it just uses (2) wide band O2's to make the adjustments and will have nothing to do with TPS. TPS is EASY and no one capable of installing one that can also use a laptop should be worried about calibrating it unless all you have access to is the manual and Dynojet phone support.

You just make the connection, fire up to bike till it warms up fully, then clicking the mouse about 2-3 times, kill the bike with the stop / run switch, then click another mouse button. DONE.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Earnie1200C
Cruiser

Jackal,

It can be a fun ride that's for sure. I think your right, with the wide band O2 sensors of the auto tune then you don't have to deal with the TPS. I don't have any problems with doing the TPS calibration. I've got a laptop that I can use in my shop to get it done but I don't want to pay for a dyno tune and then make any changes to the engine and have to have a dyno done again. That seems like it would be better money spent on the auto tune instead of dyno time.

Where in MO are you located? There are some great rides in my area and a great group to ride with.

Earnie

Old 02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Man I didn't notice your location. I'm in KC.

Just to be clear, auto-tune or not, I am sure you will need to calibrate the TPS. If going the dyno route, you will want to do this before they get a hold of it, or at least ensure they are competent enough with tuning PC-V's that they can do it for you.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Earnie1200C
Cruiser

Jackal,

Anytime your in the area let me know and we'll see what we can do about getting some riding in together.

I appreciate your help with my questions on the PCV and auto tune. I will make sure the TPS is calibrated correctly before any dyno work is done. I hope this info helps others and not just me.

Earnie

Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Will do man! I get down to the Lake of the Ozarks all the time (closer to Truman dam) and actually headed to STL in 4 weeks to catch a concert. Haven't been out there in a good 4 years.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
TexFF
Road Master

Is this correct in this order?
Download latest software from DynoJet site to laptop
Download latest firmware to laptop
Download MAP(I got from fuelmoto) to laptop
Plug PC-V into laptop, download MAP to PC-V
Install PC-V into bike
Ride bike

Is this correct?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Almost. Before downloading the MAP to the PC-V, you will first want to update it's firmware, though it prob. doesn't matter. After firmware update I like to disconnect and reconnect the PC-V to the laptop. Then download the MAP, then enable RevXtend if you want and calibrate the TPS with the engine warm and ride.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
TexFF
Road Master

So the 'software' is for the computer and the 'firmware' is for the PC-V itself? Also, no need to use the CD that comes with it? Thanks!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Yes, once the PC-V is connected to the laptop with the software on it, it will load the drivers for the PC-V and you will be able to connect to the PC-V using the software. You then select update firmware, and it will ask for the path to it so you then browse to the firmware file you downloaded. The CD is likely outdated, so no.

If you get your PC-V from Fuel Moto, then they will have likely updated the firmware and MAP for you.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V questions