Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 48

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
cosmicrust77
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 48

I picked up my new 48 two weeks ago. It is my first Harley. I have been driving it to work mostly. After about 200 miles my rear end convinced me to upgrade the seat.

I bought the springer seat. Plan to install it tomorrow before I leave to go to work. It was a bit costly for a seat, but I did not want to put a Nightster or Iron seat on it and my *** realy hurt

The only other 2 small mods that I have done is a flush mount Black gas cap and an analog oil temp guage.

I plan to change out the exaust and intake in the next few weeks. Also add a rack on the back so I can bring some food with me to work.

Anyway just wanted to say hello to the forums that is all.

Attached Thumbnails New 48-harley-1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to your new addiction!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Shadow_otw
Tourer

Awesome... Congrats!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the bike. Looks great!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know how you like the seat after you put some more miles on it. I still have the stock seat. I tried the HD spring seat at the dealer and thought it felt pretty stiff.

I've been looking at the Rich Phillips seat online. It has a different spring type and little bit more turn up on the back to keep you in the seat. But I haven't been able to sit on one so it is a crap shoot.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

One of the Motherwell's racks would look sleek on your bike...

Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your *** hurts so you bought a spring seat? LOL

Bad idea.....

Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Originally Posted by streetfighter06

Bad idea.....
i don't think that was 200 miles in one trip he did on the stock seat either
that was broken up over 2 weeks ....

BRING ON THE PAIN

but seriously .....a stock seat repacked with a gel insert and a nice set of progressive rear shocks is about as good as it gets ,
spring saddles are worse ..... see if you can get a refund , or a credit toward the shocks..., then spend a few buck on a repack....

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM
cosmicrust77
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ployd4
I'd like to know how you like the seat after you put some more miles on it. I still have the stock seat. I tried the HD spring seat at the dealer and thought it felt pretty stiff.

I've been looking at the Rich Phillips seat online. It has a different spring type and little bit more turn up on the back to keep you in the seat. But I haven't been able to sit on one so it is a crap shoot.
I got the seat installed this afternoon and rode it the 30 miles to work. I did not notice myself sliding back in the seat while accelerating. The seat is not a pillow top mattress (I did not expect it to be) but the springs do help out a great deal with bumps in the road.

It does sit up a bit higher than the stock; I am 5'11 so I have no issues with being able to put my feet on the ground. I did not notice much of a difference.

I could tell a small bit of difference while riding with my feet on the pegs. Since I was sitting up a bit higher my feet were down more and not out in front a much. It was not much of a change, but just enough for me to notice.

I have read that some people tend to slide forward while stopping. I had only a few stop lights to go through on the way to work, most of my trip is interstate, but I did not notice myself sliding forward very much. I use both of my brakes to stop and it is possible that with me pushing down with my right foot to help stop the bike, that it kept me from inching forward.

Anyway that was my first impression of the seat after 30 miles.

I took a look at the Rich Phillips seats you mentioned, If I had not already pulled the trigger on getting the seat I have, I would consider one of them. They look great.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
cosmicrust77
6th Gear

Originally Posted by streetfighter06

Bad idea.....
I was under no illusion that the springer seat was going to be the best answer for a sore rump. I decided to go the springer seat route because I liked the look of it, and I liked that the back side was turned up to help keep me in the seat under acceleration.

It does help with rough road conditions, by absorbing some of the impact. Over all I am very happy with the purchase, butt pains and all

Originally Posted by MADDOG187
i don't think that was 200 miles in one trip he did on the stock seat either
that was broken up over 2 weeks ....

BRING ON THE PAIN

but seriously .....a stock seat repacked with a gel insert and a nice set of progressive rear shocks is about as good as it gets ,
spring saddles are worse ..... see if you can get a refund , or a credit toward the shocks..., then spend a few buck on a repack....
You are right about the 200 miles. I drive 60 miles a day round trip. I work 7 days a week every other week. So the 200 was over a 1 week period for the most part, but point is it was not done in a single trip.

I like the look of the springer seat, and not the stock seat so much. If not I probably would have gotten a Nightster seat or something. I do plan to look into upgrading the shocks since this is a daily commuter for me.

Though new pipes and intake will probably be the next upgrade I do

Quick Reply: New 48