Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery dead twicein 2 months? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default battery dead twicein 2 months? HELP!

to start this off, i never trickle charge my bike, since 09 I have road it year round but in the winter it see's allot less of the road but I still manage to get an hr in at least once a month.

end of December I went to ride it and it lite up and I flipped the on switch and you could hear it turn, then I hit the Startup and it would sound like its coffing but just couldnt start, then when I tried it again hardly no turning over and guages were losing brightness. So of course I charged the battery and all was good.

this weekend I took it out for a nice hour long ride to a tattoo competition at a Harley dealer and then a nice 2 hr ride back home.

Go to start it this morn and its acting the same way as if the battery was dyeing on me right there.

So whats the problem? how come its not getting fully charged up from my long rides? do you think it's cuz I'm trying to start it in cold 20 degrees? Do I need to add distilled water to it??

I don't know anything about the sporty battery, I' have changed my share of lawnmower batteries

Any help would be great before I go out and buy a new battery

Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
So whats the problem? how come its not getting fully charged up from my long rides? do you think it's cuz I'm trying to start it in cold 20 degrees? Do I need to add distilled water to it??

Any help would be great before I go out and buy a new battery
Bingo. Warm the battery up and I'll bet it will start.
Newer bikes have sealed (no maintenance) batteries, no added water needed.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Also, keeping the bike on a float charger (Battery Tender), helps with cold weather starts.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Just sitting and only riding once a month ain't enough to keep it fully charged. Just sitting will drain the battery over time. I would connect a tender.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Check the connections to make sure that they are tight and corrosion free. Also, if the battery is 3 years old,it just may need to be replaced. Take it to a O'Rielly or other auto part place and they can test it for you.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Check the connections to make sure that they are tight and corrosion free. Also, if the battery is 3 years old,it just may need to be replaced. Take it to a O'Rielly or other auto part place and they can test it for you.
He said the replaced the battery 2 months ago.

A 1200 has a high compression ratio and the small battery used in the Sporties doesn't have enough cranking amps to handle that and 20*.

If you need to reliably crank a 1200 at temps below 35*, you need to take the battery inside at night to keep it warm, or fully cover the bike with an insulated cover and place a 100w incandescent light bulb under the cover.

Last edited by cHarley; 02-21-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the battery tender. Usually, my battery goes dead after sitting for 2 or 3 weeks because the security system and electronics slowly drain the battery. The tender will keep it charged up. My bike is alot harder to start when it is cold because of the low CCA of the battery and the high compression engine.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
He said the replaced the battery 2 months ago.

A 1200 has a high compression ratio and the small battery used in the Sporties doesn't have enough cranking amps to handle that and 20*.

If you need to reliably crank a 1200 at temps below 35*, you need to take the battery inside at night to keep it warm, or fully cover the bike with an insulated cover and place a 100w incandescent light bulb under the cover.

I re-charged it fully in December, I never replaced it. I guess I should purchase the tender, it won't hurt. I'll see if it starts up tonight. Temps should be in the 50's throughout the day. I guess, I'll be insulating my shed this spring.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM
joker3300
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on Sportster models, you can remove the key while it is in the auxiliary position. On the Nightsters at least, the only way you can tell is because the licence plate light is on. This will drain your battery as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

charge the battery and take out for a load test at your local parts store...I am betting that your battery is on the way out....

Quick Reply: battery dead twicein 2 months? HELP!