Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, looks like I fried something!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ok, looks like I fried something!!

Read on here from some guy that he washes his Sporty with the seat off. I'm tired of having wet pants after I wash my bike so I decide to wash my bike with the seat off. I'd be much better off with wet pants right now!!

Apparently Harley engineers, in all their wisdom, decided not to make the elect. connections under the seat, or anywhere for that matter, water proof. Or so it seems or maybe I've just got pissy pants, I don't know. I got up yesterday morning to start my bike and nothing. Not just nothing but NOTHING! No speedo light no nothing!

So I take the battery out and put it on my trickle charger and leave it there overnight. Thankfully little to no damage was done (hopefully) because it came all the way back up to a full charge. I put it back in my bike and I notice the little red key on the lower right of the speedo, the one that blinks if you have a factory security system, is lit constantly. No blinking and no going off. I'm thinking "this aint' good"! And it wasn't.

I followed the diagnostic code process and came up with the following: b1141, ignition switch low/open and b1005, fuel sending unit high/open instruments.

What do those mean? low/open? high/open instruments? I don't get it.

HELP!!

PS: The bike started after I put the batt. back in but when I put the key in and turn the off/run switch to run I don't here the fuel pump whirring and the low fuel light stays on with a full tank. It starts but I'm afraid if it sits and the pressure goes down and the fuel pump isn't coming on before the first start, it may not start. It ain't right.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say let it sit for a couple of days to let it all dry out and reclear the codes, im betting that it will fix itself and as far as washing the bike, next time slip a trash can liner on the seat before you wash it and ya wont get a wet ***!! good luck!!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM
CS Mactavish
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A leaf blower,a Chamois or even an old towel do wonders at drying the bike.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser

Well, it's been a little over an hour since I started this thread and I've figured it out. And thanks for the advice about using a trash can liner, I think I'll do that in the future.

It was the relays again. Again? Yep, it was the same thing that gave both me and two, count them, two Harley dealerships fits trying to figure it out. They never did figure it out, I did by accident.

I was about 50mi. from home on an early Spring ride and when I came out of the store I had been in for about 1/2 hour and my bike wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over at all. The lights came on but that's it. I start pullin fuses and such because when the Sun goes down I'm gonna freeze before I get home on the 50mi. ride!! I just happen to accidentally switch the two identical relays, one for ignition and one for "system" and the bike turns over but won't run. I call the local Hardly dealer, right at quitten time btw, and one of the guys, a real life saver btw, drops two off on his way home to me. Varooom! and away!

So today, because I'm simply stumped, I do the same thing, start pullin fuses and stuff. When I pull the first relay I remembered the story above and decide to switch the relays and see what happens. Varooom! and away! Not really as it's too cold to ride right now but you get the picture. The water got into the area where the relays plug into and shorted them out or caused a break in one of the circuits and it was all messed up. I won't go in to detail about all that the bike was doing because, honestly, I can't keep track of all the strange crap my bike was doing. It has a factory security system (useless if you ask me, flashing lights? Wow that'll stop 'em) so you can imagine all the weird shenanigans that thing was pulling! Anyway, it's over. For now! It's still a Harley.

I really hate(yeah right!) Harleys!!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
camcarvin82
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CS Mactavish
A leaf blower,a Chamois or even an old towel do wonders at drying the bike.
uhhh yea, thats pretty sound advice i second, just use a towel and dry it off so you don't get wet pants

Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah the water prolly shorted the relay glad you got if figured out, leave everything on it next time you wash it, the less water the better!!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OMG, this was a serious post? When I first read this, I thought it was somebody that was just bored and started a funny post. Yeah, there is a reason all of the computer modules, and other sensitive electronic components are crammed into the small space under the seat. The reason.......SO THEY DON'T GET WET.

Last edited by SportyPig; 02-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 AM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SportyPig
OMG, this was a serious post? When I first read this, I thought it was somebody that was just bored and started a funny post. Yeah, there is a reason all of the computer modules, and other sensitive electronic components are crammed into the small space under the seat. The reason.......SO THEY DON'T GET WET.
Perhaps you can explain to me why all the other models have nice little plastic boxes around the fuse box?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If I were you I would pull all the fuses, relays etc and grease the sockets and any other exposed electrical connnections with a LIGHT coat of grease, that should help your problem not to come back...Oh, don't do the plug for the headlight...

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GrovenSportster
Perhaps you can explain to me why all the other models have nice little plastic boxes around the fuse box?
Perhaps first, since you didn't bother to do so anywhere in this thread, tell us the year and model of your Sporty.

Had you posted in the OP that you have an 07, I'm sure you would have received several answers telling you to pull and clean/dry the fuse and relay contacts. Water intrusion is a common problem with that bike.

Quick Reply: Ok, looks like I fried something!!