Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes and a/c what tuning device?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
machwon1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipes and a/c what tuning device?

The only performance mods I'm gonna do to my bike is Vance and Hines short shots and a spike air cleaner... Nothing else...

What is my best route to tune the bike? I saw the cobra fi 2000 it ranges from $250-$550 which one is the right one to get? Or is there a better way to tune for only these two mods.

Also bike is a 2012 48... So 1200cc...

This is all I plan to do performance wise and want it to be 100% safe. And cheaper would be better as lOng as it works good.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
fourburgs
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Cobra FI2000 powrpro and couldn't be happier.. It auto tunes @80x's a second. and if you ever do the 1250 conversion it will learn that to and you are good to go . no downloads or settings , strickly plug it in and hold on ..And PLEASE don't even consider the FUELPAK....Just my thoughts...... Do a search and make up your mind . There are PLENTY of post's on this subject. There is another post like yours running right now .. If you chose to go with another tuner let us know how it works for you and your combination . I can't test all the options out there so my choice was Cobra . Wasted my money on XIED's Then FUELPAK now running Cobra .. Just sayin...

Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
fourburgs
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Aaron48 HELP..................

Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
OceanState401
Cruiser

performance mods with short shots isn't going happen. Sound and Look only with those

Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
machwon1
Intermediate

Mainly getting them for looks honestly...

Or straight shots... Not sure yet...

Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 AM
vkleinstu
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read so much on this topic lately, and there seems to be no right answer. I can personally say that I am currently having issues with the Fuelpak. I'm not sure if it is the Fuelpak or what the dealer did to my bike after I had installed the Fuelpak. Installed it myself and had no issues for a week. Then I took the bike to the dealer to have LP/directional kit installed and since I got the bike back I have been having issues. Just when I thought I fixed the problem by correcting some of their shotty work, it began to sputter/stall while idling today. I really don't think that it is the Fuelpak, but more so that the dealer messed with it. Hopefully I can get a nice day with no rain to rule out my suspicions about water in the AC. If I continue to have problems I intend to order X14iEDs and try them first with the Fuelpak. If that doesn't work I will try them without. 99% of posts that I have read, people swear by the XIEDs. This is the only post I think I have seen where someone has bad mouthed them. Those are better odds than I got with my Fuelpak and I already bought that. Good luck with what you choose.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by vkleinstu
I have read so much on this topic lately, and there seems to be no right answer. I can personally say that I am currently having issues with the Fuelpak. I'm not sure if it is the Fuelpak or what the dealer did to my bike after I had installed the Fuelpak. Installed it myself and had no issues for a week. Then I took the bike to the dealer to have LP/directional kit installed and since I got the bike back I have been having issues. Just when I thought I fixed the problem by correcting some of their shotty work, it began to sputter/stall while idling today. I really don't think that it is the Fuelpak, but more so that the dealer messed with it. Hopefully I can get a nice day with no rain to rule out my suspicions about water in the AC. If I continue to have problems I intend to order X14iEDs and try them first with the Fuelpak. If that doesn't work I will try them without. 99% of posts that I have read, people swear by the XIEDs. This is the only post I think I have seen where someone has bad mouthed them. Those are better odds than I got with my Fuelpak and I already bought that. Good luck with what you choose.
X2 on the xieds. I have the stock air intake with a k&n filter and rush slip ons and my bike runs perfect with xieds. Before the xieds the bike would spit and sputter bad and after the xieds it runs perfect. You can go to nightrider.com to check out the xieds.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by fourburgs
I have the Cobra FI2000 powrpro and couldn't be happier.. It auto tunes @80x's a second. and if you ever do the 1250 conversion it will learn that to and you are good to go . no downloads or settings , strickly plug it in and hold on ..And PLEASE don't even consider the FUELPAK....Just my thoughts...... Do a search and make up your mind . There are PLENTY of post's on this subject. There is another post like yours running right now .. If you chose to go with another tuner let us know how it works for you and your combination . I can't test all the options out there so my choice was Cobra . Wasted my money on XIED's Then FUELPAK now running Cobra .. Just sayin...
Your statement may be true if you do just the 1250 pistons but if you do cams and headwork the Cobra FI2000 autotune will not work because it can not control ignition timing and that is a must any time you mess with the cams/heads. I have heard the guys from NRHS say this many times. IMO for the price the Cobra autotune is not worth it because there are systems like the TTS Mastertune, SEPST, the Power Commander V with autotune, and the Power Vision that can control ignition timing for around the same price.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Originally Posted by fox4
Your statement may be true if you do just the 1250 pistons but if you do cams and headwork the Cobra FI2000 autotune will not work because it can not control ignition timing and that is a must any time you mess with the cams/heads. I have heard the guys from NRHS say this many times. IMO for the price the Cobra autotune is not worth it because there are systems like the TTS Mastertune, SEPST, the Power Commander V with autotune, and the Power Vision that can control ignition timing for around the same price.

This is pulled right off Cobras website regarding the Power Pro...

"No matter what kind of new hardware you install on your bike--a new exhaust system, a freer-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with high-performance cams, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance. "

Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by Aaron48
This is pulled right off Cobras website regarding the Power Pro...

"No matter what kind of new hardware you install on your bike--a new exhaust system, a freer-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with high-performance cams, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance. "
That is impossible if it can't control ignition timing which Dan from NRHS has said that it can't. In my research I have not been able to find any info on whether it can or can't.

Quick Reply: Pipes and a/c what tuning device?