Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes and a/c what tuning device?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Big_Redneck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got everything yesterday and installed both when I got home from work at 3 a.m. Could not start my bike cause it was way too early to tick off the neighbors lol. Just fired her up and instantly noticing a lot smoother idle than before, I'm sure it will be different once I go for a nice little ride. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by got2bjennyg
From the nightrider product description:
"The X14iED's will add approximately 6% more fuel to the engine in closed loop operating mode than a similar unequipped vehicle. There is an indirect richening of open loop fuel mixture's through the learning mode or adaptive fuel value action, ensuring these richer 13.8-12.5:1 AFR's are also adjusted in heavy/full throttle situations. "

http://sales.nightrider.com/X14iEDtm_p_9.html
IF it could do that, maybe it might work but I am still leery about slapping more fuel everywhere by tricking the ECM. I'll have to look up some opinions as to how likely that is to be done, regardless of what they say it does. I am constantly reminded of Enzyte and Extenze and what they claim it does. On my cars, I have never done it that way since I prefer it to work right out of the box without gimmicks.

On my cars, if you advanced the distributor, it would still increase the base timing and hence the amount of ECM advance even if you tapped the KS and it showed knock and retarded the timing. Next time, it would still go off the programed map at cold setup and disregard O2 readings.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big_Redneck
Well I got everything yesterday and installed both when I got home from work at 3 a.m. Could not start my bike cause it was way too early to tick off the neighbors lol. Just fired her up and instantly noticing a lot smoother idle than before, I'm sure it will be different once I go for a nice little ride. I will keep you posted.
If got2bjennyg is right, you shouldn't notice anything yet since it couldn't have adjusted your long term fuel trims or anything without you riding it for a bit.

Also wouldn't a cold start disregard the O2 sensor readings which this thing is fudging anyways? If so, how would it logically run any different? You sure it isn't a placebo effect? I can see that happening for a map you flashed but for cold start, I can't seem to understand how it does anything so quickly.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If got2bjennyg is right, you shouldn't notice anything yet since it couldn't have adjusted your long term fuel trims or anything without you riding it for a bit...
got2bjennyg simply quoted what is published by nightrider on their website. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by got2bjennyg
got2bjennyg simply quoted what is published by nightrider on their website. Nothing more, nothing less.
True. Just going off that to see logically how he got to feel it idles better and I can't find a way. Long term fuel trim take a little riding before it adjusts. Just slapping it on and starting it doesn't adjust the long term fuel trim that I can see. That begs the question "How" in my mind. Assuming that is really what is happening as the seller says. It shouldn't have affected the long trim so quickly without riding that it can feel smoother. Any theories?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Big_Redneck
Tourer

Actually, I waited for my bike to warm up and noticed the idle at that point, which is what I was referring to. And yes I do know I won't see the full effect yet until the ECM relearns everything. But the idle quality will be as soon as the ECM goes into closed loop. It's extremely similar to upping the jets on a carb. Why buy a whole new carb when you can spend a fraction and just buy jets? Same exact principle here Aklim. With fuel injection, yes you have base maps blah blah blah. Yes you have fuel trims and such, i know this just as well as anyone. My statement is true and can be validated by several other people with similar experiences. With the Xied's, you are adding in just a slight bit more fuel, which you WILL notice at idle...WHEN THE ECM GOES INTO CLOSED LOOP. When all conditions are met (temp, MAP, TPS...ect...), the ECM enters closed loop and takes the AFR readings from your O2 sensors. Since I am making it read a little different (leaner), the ECM will now instantly add a bit more fuel to get the 14.6 AFR it asks for. This is not the adjustments to fuel trim or anything else. That will take me several miles of riding under various conditions to attain those new, corrected values. Is it similar to a car, yes it is...but like everything else, the ECM for bikes has its differences from a automotive ECM.

ORIGINAL POSTER, I APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR THREAD GETTING JACKED FOR A PISSING CONTEST!!!!!! Thank you for your understanding

Last edited by Big_Redneck; 03-16-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Actually, I waited for my bike to warm up and noticed the another idle at that point, which is what I was referring to. And yes I do know I won't see the full effect yet until the ECM relearns everything. But the idle quality will be as soon as the ECM goes into closed loop.

It's extremely similar to upping the jets on a carb.

Why buy a whole new carb when you can spend a fraction and just buy jets? Same exact principle here Aklim.
OK. I thought you fired it up and noticed it idles better.

I never tuned a carb nor would I have owned a bike with a carb even if it was given to me. When my lawn machines have a fuel issue, I send it off for someone else to work on it. I understand the theory of how carbs work but without sensor feedback, I am not sure how to work on them besides by feel and I am very leery of doing that myself hence all my powersports stuff like ATV and Jetskis are fuel injected. Much easier for me to hook up scanners to see what they are doing if I had to.

Actually, I'd say the principle is right but more aptly compared to getting it tuned by datalog or dyno as opposed to buying a new machine that has more power. I tend to want to have the whole thing done right as opposed to just tweaking one end of it. I actually don't care if it makes more power or not. If it does, it is a bonus. As long as it runs right according to the sensor feedback and is being as efficient as it can be to give me a smooth ride, I am happy. I'll go even as far as saying that I would sacrifice a few HP just to get a ride that is as smooth as the prom queen's thighs. My bike runs well right now but I don't like the AFR that is coming up in the midrange but I really can't feel it so I want it fixed in the ECM. I want the whole thing remapped to run right with the mods I have so far as opposed to running right here and fooled there.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

With the Xied's, you are adding in just a slight bit more fuel, which you WILL notice at idle...WHEN THE ECM GOES INTO CLOSED LOOP. When all conditions are met (temp, MAP, TPS...ect...), the ECM enters closed loop and takes the AFR readings from your O2 sensors. Since I am making it read a little different (leaner), the ECM will now instantly add a bit more fuel to get the 14.6 AFR it asks for. This is not the adjustments to fuel trim or anything else. That will take me several miles of riding under various conditions to attain those new, corrected values.

Is it similar to a car, yes it is...but like everything else, the ECM for bikes has its differences from a automotive ECM.
I understand the principle on which it works. What I don't know is whether in a bike the fuel demands are linear throughout the curve. On my car, it wasn't and neither was the timing demands. I saw the map when the tuner did my car and it was anything but linear. We couldn't increase the fuel by a factor of X throughout the curve. Some spots were more and some were less. And with timing changes, the fuel demands also changed. I would GUESS that might hold true for the engine in a bike, wouldn't you think? Just hashing that idea out.

I would agree it could be different but how different are the operating principles? Again, I am not 100% sure but I would guess that they are similar. What would you say are the differences?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL POSTER, I APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR THREAD GETTING JACKED FOR A PISSING CONTEST!!!!!! Thank you for your understanding
Common occurrence when whats his name is involved. Its hard not to get offended when he calls your choices gimmicks and half assery. He just likes to hear himself talk. I do notice, as I said many months ago.........he still hasn't done anything himself.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rog48
Common occurrence when whats his name is involved. Its hard not to get offended when he calls your choices gimmicks and half assery.

He just likes to hear himself talk.

I do notice, as I said many months ago.........he still hasn't done anything himself.
Perhaps you would like me to sugar coat it for you so your feelings don't get hurt?

As do you. What's your point? I happen to have an opinion. As do you, from what I see. What makes your opinion so great that I should bow down and respect it without question? If you were the designer of the Delphi system on our bikes or you have been involved in a lot of dyno tuning and have a stack of paperwork to prove what you are saying, I'm all ears.

You sure? Because somehow I do have receipts for the exhaust and AC and the wife bought me an SEPST and I am trying to get a reputable facilty nearby to dyno tune it. Perhaps if your, IMO worthless, lips can stop flapping for a minute you can tell me who you would like to verify what I said is on the bike. Would a notarized pic help you?

Last edited by aklim156581; 03-16-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Pipes and a/c what tuning device?