Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, another exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM
domantori
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another exhaust thread

So i got my sikpipe diesels put on my 48 yesterday. First of all, my god they are loud. I had read that they were loud but they exceed what i thought loud was. Anyway, I took it out for about a 5 mile ride and realized when i got home that the pipes had gotten so hot that they melted the air cleaner plastic cover. Also, i have thermotec copper wrap on them with a copper spray coating and both pipes had turned blackish presumably from the heat. My plan was to get them on with the stock air cleaner and see if it sounded rich or lean. Sounded great so i figured i was in the clear. But, since they melted my cleaner cover i guess i am now going to get a new cleaner and will have to get it tuned. Tyler at sikpipes thinks the pipes are getting hot because i dont have a tuner and the motor is running lean. Does this sound like the likely cause? like i said, there is no popping on decel and it sounds perfect.

Attached Thumbnails Yes, another exhaust thread-dsc_0788.jpg   Yes, another exhaust thread-dsc_0789.jpg   Yes, another exhaust thread-dsc_0790.jpg   Yes, another exhaust thread-dsc_0791.jpg  

Last edited by domantori; 01-28-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 01-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the diesels and like you only took it out for a couple miles. When I first started it in my basement garage (little dark) I could see flames coming out the rear pipe That went away after it warmed up though. I was suprised I had NO decel popping. I do have VIEDs but didnt adjust them from when I had the short shots on. And loud? F yeah their loud. I couldnt stop grinning. Dont know about your heat issue......sorry.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM
domantori
Cruiser

I don't think videos do these pipes justice on just how loud they actually are. Highly recommended for those who want to have loud pipes.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shorty pipes will always be hot and loud. I have shorty pipes with no baffles and they are way hot every time I ride. Definately get a tuner. I have the PC-V on mine and it helped out to make the bike run better. I would recommend getting it to a dyno shop and have it more fine tuned also. That's on my "to do" list this year. The pipes look sweet on your bike!

Old 01-28-2012, 02:18 PM
domantori
Cruiser

Thanks cp. I had not planned on replacing the air cleaner just yet but since I melted the cover, I guess it along with a tune is in my immediate future. I like the fuelies on your scoot and bet they are as loud as sikpipes.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain

Oh great now everyone is going to have sikpipes on their bikes instead of black short shots haha. I'm glad I got the double barrels because the diesel's were a close second in choice. But yeah it sounds like you're running lean and that's causing the heat issue. You can try xied's or a tuner, dunno if that's going to help you though since the pipes are short to begin with.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:50 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too lean. Serious heat!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a thread on here somewhere talking about how modding pipes and AC doesn't require a tuner or anything else. They say it's a myth and if you just do pipes and your AC that's perfectly fine without further mods. However, just from your pics, I have come to this conclusion....

1. In a lot of custom exhaust applications it was say in writing "may not work with stock AC". I bet anyone running sikpipes for the most part has a smaller aftermarket AC. On my bike, I don't even know if my sikpipes would clear the stock AC. So think about that for a moment with your melting issue.

2. Your wrap has discolored where the pipes always are the hottest. When mine were chrome, they turned blue/gold in those same spots. When I wrapped them, the black wrap turned gray/white in the same spots as yours have turned a dull black.

From your pics, I think IMO that you do not require a tune and that either your wrap is cheap and failed or the coating was cheap and burned off causing your wrap to discolor.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:02 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaven48
Oh great now everyone is going to have sikpipes on their bikes instead of black short shots haha.
LOL! Good one, Blaven!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know your not gonna want to wear shorts while riding with those pipes. I did one time with my fuelies and made it about 10 miles and had to turn around and put long pants on. Burnt my leg big time from all the heat! Plus no one is gonna ride next to ya! Loud is good, beware of the cops! I've been pulled over twice so far for being too loud! Just got warnings though because they didn't have decibal meters on them. Those handle bars are awesome! Are they brass?

Quick Reply: Yes, another exhaust thread