Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detach-Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detach-Windshield

Hey guys,

I just did a quick 300+ mile trip last weekend and found myself wanting a windshield. Not so much for the wind, but for the damn things that ended up smacking me in the face, arms, and chest.

I was looking at the Quick Release Detachable Super Sport Windshield (PN: 57838-08) for those long trips. Anyone rock one of these? Trying to avoid any potential buffeting on what I might buy.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that one too...seems to work well, a must for longer trips. It says you need to relocate the front turn signals but I didn't have to in order to mount it. It must be so it doesn't glare at night.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Nailz
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a Sporty windshield with the clamp-on quick detach that I don't use. I "think" its like brand new (My Sporty was like new when I bought it). It came with the bike when I bought it. I have the smaller semi-permanent windshield that I love. I'll dig it out and see what the deal is.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Hey! I have one of these. Got it with the bike and its awesome. It's well made and looks good and it creates a slipstream for rain and bugs. It basically blows over you. I'm 6ft and if I clip it right on top of the forks I can just see over it.

Well, a good investment.

Trucks passing you next to you (without a divider) will buffet you a bit but you won't get cold, wet or tired so it makes up for it and I'm sure your roads are not as narrow and ***** as ours.

It also reduces wind noise quite a bit.

what else...fuel consumption.

You'd think that the added resistance would decrease your mileage but it doesn't really. We still got 125miles on our 12l tank.

Jeez...what can I say? get it.

Sounds awesome! May have to look deeper into it now!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I have that one too...seems to work well, a must for longer trips. It says you need to relocate the front turn signals but I didn't have to in order to mount it. It must be so it doesn't glare at night.

How does it feel on the rides? I'm trying to avoid where I get some buffeting from it.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also have the removable hd shield... got it as a result of my first 200ish mile trip. i was headed north and the wind was so strong that my neck was sore at the end. this shield pulls off and keeps the wind off of me now. around town its off- on the big road its on.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
How does it feel on the rides? I'm trying to avoid where I get some buffeting from it.
It feels great. It takes the wind off your chest so it greatly reduces fatigue. I rode my bike 200 miles back from the dealer in heavy wind without it and I was really tired when I got home. I'm 6'1" and like the other poster said I can just see over it. A little bit of buffeting on the top of the head but not bad.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a quick dis-connect, but it aint been off in two years....too much wind at hiway speeds

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I use a quick detach shield too. It was on it when I bought it, but it was an 18" shield, most of the time I was looking through it. I swapped the shield for a 14", much better.

I do get buffeting though. It's not too bad, but I have been experimenting with a set of lowers for it. I'll play with them some more in the Spring.

Quick Reply: Detach-Windshield