Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Hopefully) Easy Sportster Carb Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
On my 883, I opted for the jet change, quick and easy. I've done needle tweaks on older bikes, but don't consider it a job for someone not comfortable with taking a carb apart. That diaphram on the Harley carb can sometimes be a challenge to get back on right (stiffening it up in a freezer might help). The needle change is supposed to improve everything up to wide open, but on an 883 I don't think anything less than a 1200 kit makes enough difference to be worth the cost or effort; it's a pretty sedate bike, good for an old geezer like me. Intake seals get blamed a lot, but they're easy to check; just spray some wd40 around them while the bike is running; if there's a leak, should get a momentary rpm change as the oil stops it.
Yeah, I missed the part where his ride is an 883. Still, it's not likely he'll need a jet change on an otherwise stock ride. I'm running a 42 on my 1200, with no lean issues at all. I had plenty of carb farts and off idle stalls prior to changing the needle, now those have all disappeared. As for the intake seals, they are $2 each, and take about an hour to replace. They do harden with age and should be replaced about every 3 or 4 seasons. If he has the originals then they are leaking.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by John_K
As for the intake seals, they are $2 each, and take about an hour to replace. They do harden with age and should be replaced about every 3 or 4 seasons. If he has the originals then they are leaking.
Didn't seem to be leaking last spring, and the bike ran fine all summer, but if that's all they last, I'd better change them when I do some work on mine this spring, they're older than that. Some things are better fixed before they go bad.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Didn't seem to be leaking last spring, and the bike ran fine all summer, but if that's all they last, I'd better change them when I do some work on mine this spring, they're older than that. Some things are better fixed before they go bad.
Mine were original on a 5 year old bike. After I did a little research, I decided to pull them without even testing and sure enough... one was pinched and eroded, leaking badly, looks like it was a faulty install right from factory. Both were hardened compared to the new ones. The consensus among other Sporty owner/mechanics seems to be about a 4 year life span. The only 'special' tool required is an appropriate size ball-end allen driver to get at the manifold screws on the carb side. Only precaution is to not pinch the seals on installation. This maintenance job will for sure rule out or fix lean issues caused by a manifold leak. In my case, it was causing severe popping with orange flame out the rear cylinder ...it was getting a richer mixture than the front.