Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Lift/technique?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Default Motorcycle Lift/technique?

I've been looking at buying a lift for my Sporty? Any suggestions on a good brand?

How else do you secure the bike while lifted? I've seen straps used, and also what looks like mounts down by the lower frame.

How do you guys lift your bikes for service, mods?

Just don't want it falling over while front wheel is off.

John

Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Graybeard47
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motorcycle Lift

John,
I bought a lift from Harbor Freight, $59.95 that is 50% off! I got a coupon from America Iron ad.
The lift looks well made, I'm sure from China. You do need to strap the bike to it and it has a safety latch that you have to release before lowering the bike back down. It's complete will jack. Years ago I seen some at Sam's, they were $99.00 and the jack was not included. Don't know what they have now, as I quit going to Sam's over 6 years ago.
Graybeard

Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I Have the J&S Jack for my Sporty. Worth EVERY $$. No straps what-so-ever. Very STURDY. Love my J&S Jack!

Here's the link for more info: http://www.jsjacks.com/

Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It depends just what work you plan doing. If you simply want to remove your front wheel for service, all you need is a simple jack like a scissor auto jack. Place under the front of the frame (with a piece of rubber like old inner tube to stop scratching your paint) and lift the bike, while it is on the jiffy. If you want to leave it like that for a while, just put a block of wood under and ease the weight off the jack.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tons of Jack related posts on here. I have the red sears jack, with a lowered sporty it doesn't fit right. I always have to ride my bike up onto something to be able to slide the jack under it. then it works fine.

make sure whatever jack you get has a saftey latch to take pressure off the hydraulic if it's going to be on there for a while. I've read too many horror stories on here about that failing.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Not a big fan of HF jacks (checked them out @ local store), but it's probably one of the cheapest options for your Sporty...along w/Sears.

I have J&S for my touring/FLHX - overkill for your scoot, but well worth the $$$ (IMO).

Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Graybeard47
John,
I bought a lift from Harbor Freight, $59.95 that is 50% off! I got a coupon from America Iron ad.
The lift looks well made, I'm sure from China. You do need to strap the bike to it and it has a safety latch that you have to release before lowering the bike back down. It's complete will jack. Years ago I seen some at Sam's, they were $99.00 and the jack was not included. Don't know what they have now, as I quit going to Sam's over 6 years ago.
Graybeard
I've got the same jack and it seems rock solid. Best $59 I ever spent.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Another HF lift here...

Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought the J&S, a little pricey but it works as advertised no straps, no problem
lifting my 1200Low off the jiffy stand, I recommend it if you are going to working alone. very stable.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the red Craftsman jack, got it on sale for $70. So far no problems, it does take me a couple of tries sometimes to get it lined up and far enough under the bike so that it isn't lifting on my exhaust crossover. I also either need someone to stand the bike up off the kick stand, or when I am alone, I put a piece of 2x4 under the kickstand to get it up enough to slide the jack under the bike.
The jack came with a couple of ratcheting straps, and once it's strapped down, it's pretty solid, solid enough to push it around the garage and sit on it. Make sure whatever you get has a lock of some sort, you don't want all that weight on the jack itself for long periods of time, mine's going to be on the jack all Winter.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Lift/technique?