Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron or Nightster?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM
PanterA101
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommygunz13
I can see everyones points, but the Nightster just has something the street bob doesn't. Also, I've been told they are not good for two people but my girlfriend and I are a pretty small couple and I'm willing to upgrade the suspension and such to get a smoother ride. The sportster have the most versatility when it comes to customizing and thats what draws me to them.
Very true.... Aside from paint jobs, and or lots and lots of money, most all big twins look the same. They're pretty generic.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

let me add something here...first, you must decide the type of riding that you will do most of the time. a lot of people truly believe that most will trade up to a big twin. and there maybe some truth to that as the sportster does not and will not ride as comfy as a touring bike and people make the mistake thinking it can or will. you can put some money in the suspension and seat and it will be a fine riding bike. if most of your riding is not long distance and just a "some times two up", it is a fun bike.
just an opinion, i think many trade to the big twins because people make remarks of the sporster as a girls bike, piglet, not a real harley etc etc. then of course the dealers want you to "trade up" to a big bike. money is made on the big twins with upgrades, parts, etc. if your touring or riding a combination of long distances and two up...by all means the softtails and touring bikes are the ticket though it can be done on the sportsters with proper planning. you cant pack real heavy so you have to pack light. for years people rode smaller bikes across this great nation without a second thought...if you ride, go ride.
the sportser can go as far as the rider is willing to ride. trust me, im not knocking the big bikes as i had a roadking and loved it. but i love my sportster as well and i can ride it anywhere i can ride the king. buy the bike that you can afford! buy the bike that fits how you will ride! buy a bike you will ride and not let sit!
on a final note, the maint and repair will be cheaper on a sporty as well. price clutches, tires, stators, as an example for big twins vs the sporty. sorry kinda long, just different thoughts for different bikes and purposes...dont get caught up in the "i have to trade up" mentality. there re many people on here and other forums that will ride their sportsers anywhere they care to go. good luck

Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

just get a xl1200s and call it a day.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Tommygunz13
Intermediate

I guess I just need to have an open mind to what my budget can afford. I have been dealing with the sales manager at the dealer my dad got his 2010 at and he has been pretty helpful. I was looking at a wide glide originally and he could get me a 2012 out the door at 14,999. So I guess will just see what happens when I go back. But the Nightster is just a sweet looking bike.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
doobs48
Tourer

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Hey, after the winter we have had, I would not be shocked to see you all riding in shorts and tee shirts complaining about the heat.
LOL!! I wish!! I went out for a quick ride about two weeks ago when it was almost 60 here. But the very next day it snowed... and it hasn't melted since.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

the wide glide is also a nice bike , and that seems a good price compared to what we would pay over here , thats less than 10 k English , the best thing you can do is test ride the nightster and the Dyna back to back , then look in your pocket and see what you can really afford , if the money is a factor , buy the nightster and be done , its a cool bike , but if you can manage the one that you feel best on , I'm sure you will get a Dyna , test them all if need be , mistakes cost money , and money doesn't come that easy to most of us .
if i was to buy a Harley purely on looks , i would be on a 48 in orange ..... i think thats the best thing Harley have ever made ..... but my **** wouldn't let me , you have to be able to enjoy the ride as well as the looks of the bike , its all a compromise , what you like , what you can afford , and what suits your shape and riding style , for me that = a Fat Bob .

Last edited by MADDOG187; 01-26-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Tommygunz13
Intermediate

I've done a little more research and shopping around, and also got some quotes on a few bikes. I found a brand new '11 Nightster, and was quoted at 9,600 otd. Is that a good price or no because its a year old bike? So I have a few quotes, now its just time to pick the best deal and on which bike.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Slider2010
Advanced

I would say Nightster HANDS DOWN, if you are willing to do the shock upgrades it is the logical choice, it has the Larger of the two motors and is more than capable of running 2-up.... That said i paid 8k for my 2008 nightster so i say 9600 for an unowned Bike is a decent deal.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Tommygunz13
Intermediate

Sounds like the road I'll go, Lakeville Harley just quoted me on a 2012 at mid 9's which s the same sales guy that sold my dad his Road King. However, if my financing allows for something a little more than I'll go that route. Guess will see how it turns out tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just get a Suzuki C109 or something.

I'd really like to get a fatboy one of these days when the cash god allows it.

Quick Reply: Iron or Nightster?!