Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY throttle lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
you're probably thinking you should tighten the wheel every time you want to lock the throttle. don't. tighten the wheel just enough so the throttle drags a bit. it should stick where ever you put it, but shouldn't require much effort to close the throttle.

take a bunch of short rides to get accustomed to it. put a piece of tape on your speedo that reads "close throttle manually or wreck" as a reminder if you need to. once you get used to it you'll wonder why the hell they ever made spring-returns mandatory.

if you're worried about the bike continuing to run after an accident: don't. the tip sensor will shut if off (efi bikes). on an older bike you can use a make-shift kill tether (like race bikes) by epoxying a short watch-chain/aligator clip to the kill switch... if you're are pulled away from the bike it should pull the kill switch up before breaking free. its an old low-budget racers trick
I get what you're saying, but I don't think I would like that setup very much. I want more of a quick release type of setup for the throttle lock. I think I may have been misunderstood too. The star wheel that is on there right now does it's intended purpose, I just don't like the design of it.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by flat4fan
That's exactly what it is.
Haha, that's awesome! I would think it could slip off pretty easily though? Unless you super-glued it or something...

Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Then you need to properly set it up as Certainteed stated becasue your probably overtightening it just a smidge. You should be able to set it to where you either set it & forget it, or to where it slowly loosens up on releases the throttle after few hundred yards down the road.

Unless you wore your throttle sleeve out.
I think I was misunderstood. It works, and I could probably set it up as was suggested, but that's not really what I want. I only want to lock it occasionally, I don't want permanent tension on the throttle.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
I think I was misunderstood. It works, and I could probably set it up as was suggested, but that's not really what I want. I only want to lock it occasionally, I don't want permanent tension on the throttle.
Then I'm still not understanding what your gripe is about the star, as it should be doing what you are stating you want it to do by the simple movement of maybe a 1/4", (flick of the thumb), moving one point of the star to where the other position where the other point of the star was approximately. And yes, I'm able to use it with my cold riding gloves on.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WVHR, what grips are you using?

FYI, I bought a black Klever Lever from this guy on the CHEAP, and received 2 of them in the package. Can't beat that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380402772194...84.m1497.l2649

Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told the star wheel lock was not intended as a CC, but rather to hold the RPMs up for faster wram up or if you need the RPM's for testing or what not-not sure that is true, but that is what a few service managers have told me at a few dealers. My bike is EFI so I see no need to hold the RPM's up for warm up.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Shackleford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Then I'm still not understanding what your gripe is about the star, as it should be doing what you are stating you want it to do by the simple movement of maybe a 1/4", (flick of the thumb), moving one point of the star to where the other position where the other point of the star was approximately. And yes, I'm able to use it with my cold riding gloves on.

Ah, sorry for the poor communication...

For me, the star wheel design is not very easy to manipulate while I am riding. That is basically what I am trying to say.

*your results may vary. Lol.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
It worked perfectly...with the stock rubber grips. Worthless with Black Diamond series grips.
I wonder if it would have issues with ISO Grips?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know why an Electronic Cruise Control hasn't been developed for a Sporty?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
WVHR, what grips are you using?
These:

Quick Reply: DIY throttle lock?