Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY throttle lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Mine doesn't. I have all kinds of complaints about it.
you're probably thinking you should tighten the wheel every time you want to lock the throttle. don't. tighten the wheel just enough so the throttle drags a bit. it should stick where ever you put it, but shouldn't require much effort to close the throttle.

take a bunch of short rides to get accustomed to it. put a piece of tape on your speedo that reads "close throttle manually or wreck" as a reminder if you need to. once you get used to it you'll wonder why the hell they ever made spring-returns mandatory.

if you're worried about the bike continuing to run after an accident: don't. the tip sensor will shut if off (efi bikes). on an older bike you can use a make-shift kill tether (like race bikes) by epoxying a short watch-chain/aligator clip to the kill switch... if you're are pulled away from the bike it should pull the kill switch up before breaking free. its an old low-budget racers trick

Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
flat4fan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what is that exactly? Looks like the end off of a usb flash drive or something...
That's exactly what it is.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 PM
TWIS1UP
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it's just me but I hate those things.
Whether long trips or short trips I just don't use them.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
flat4fan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIS1UP
I guess it's just me but I hate those things.
Whether long trips or short trips I just don't use them.
I only use it for those times where I want to maintain throttle position while maybe adjusting my gloves or something. But I'm with ya on that otherwise. No real need. That's why I'm glad that it filled a basic need, but costed me nothing. Something the OP was looking for I thought.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Certainteed
you're probably thinking you should tighten the wheel every time you want to lock the throttle. don't. tighten the wheel just enough so the throttle drags a bit. it should stick where ever you put it, but shouldn't require much effort to close the throttle.

take a bunch of short rides to get accustomed to it. put a piece of tape on your speedo that reads "close throttle manually or wreck" as a reminder if you need to. once you get used to it you'll wonder why the hell they ever made spring-returns mandatory.

if you're worried about the bike continuing to run after an accident: don't. the tip sensor will shut if off (efi bikes). on an older bike you can use a make-shift kill tether (like race bikes) by epoxying a short watch-chain/aligator clip to the kill switch... if you're are pulled away from the bike it should pull the kill switch up before breaking free. its an old low-budget racers trick
When I try to do this now, with the Black Diamond grips properly installed and after plenty of tinkering, it drags enough that it limits the amount of travel so it won't go WOT, and it still won't hold. :\

Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed

I rode like this for awhile and liked it, but then took the bike to the dealer for service and the service manager told me i will wear the little plastic paw out in there if I kept it liek that so I have not has it like that in a while, but thinking about going back to it this coming season. I like to ride one handed alot so it's nice to be able to switch hands.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
When I try to do this now, with the Black Diamond grips properly installed and after plenty of tinkering, it drags enough that it limits the amount of travel so it won't go WOT, and it still won't hold. :\
Then your throttle grip, or some part of the assembly, is still installed improperly. Mine has worked perfectly with the aftermarket grips I installed.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 01-25-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine doesn't. I have all kinds of complaints about it.
Then you need to properly set it up as Certainteed stated becasue your probably overtightening it just a smidge. You should be able to set it to where you either set it & forget it, or to where it slowly loosens up on releases the throttle after few hundred yards down the road.

Unless you wore your throttle sleeve out.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexFF
So is that star wheel DESIGNED to be used as a cruise control or is it's real purpose something else? I've always wondered why the hell it's there.
I'm not completely sure, but that is the way I plan on using it though.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Shackleford
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRacer
Not welded, but close. Cost: free from my Drawer o' Loose Nuts & Bolts.
Props to you good sir. I don't know If I have a spare bolt around that would work but maybe I'll search and see if I can't find something.

Quick Reply: DIY throttle lock?