Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 PM
VirgeB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want anyone to mess with your bike again find a storage facility close to your apartment. Rent a 5 X 10 locker and keep your bike in it. Chains, locks, covers are all worthless if someone really wants your bike. I had a 3 month old 03 Honda 954RR out in the front of an apartment chained to my gf's bike with two disk locks just for someone to take out all the rotor bolts. Lucky for me something scared them away. That morning both bikes were moved to a storage facility.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Yes. HD dealers specialize in **** sex. For real....
That makes two of us.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n1x1n
But yeah it's just kind of weird that they call me and tell me this happened while they were putting the front end back together... I wonder if THEY did it by accident and I'm the one who has to pay for it... literally
Meh, I doubt it. Have them show and explain you the issue when you go pick it up and then decide. You might feel better about them.

I absolutely love my bike. But I have a feeling like I have some sort of Harley Davidson curse??
Good to hear that you love it. Forget any curse.

My wife tells me not to worry and that to be happy that this is happening to me right now at the very beginning instead of later on. So maybe she's right, once all of this is fixed I will finally be able to ride peacefully
A supportive wife. In AZ. You've got it made, man.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Looks like it would have taken a heck of one strong person to do that. Looks more like someone lost the key, did not know how to get it apart and drilled it out and did a sorry job with the drill. Then did a sorry fix with what they had left. Not sure if you pin was brass but if it was like Scuba's in post 20 that would not have done that. However not sure if you picked up full coverage but if the dealer says someone tried to steal it you insurance would probably put a new frame on it. Doubt they can weld repair and fix that. Normally a dealer will not weld repair a structure member like a frame.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-18-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM
mhenry
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your first post ( i think first...) from what I have read/heard we do have a castle law in arizona which allows you to use deadly force to protect you assets. I would look into it yourself though, if you do just tell the cops you thought he had a weapon (something shiny in his hand ) and was coming towards you when you confrontes him about itbing your bike you felt your life was threatend, and be sure to empty the clip in him and tell the cops you thought you shot 2-3 times The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
meev
Cruiser

crazy! I live in sTUC town too and go to the U of A. LOL!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
TWIS1UP
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a service manual and do all service yourself. It's not that hard and you'll save a ton of money!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I know I don't regret getting a GSX-R 600 (which was my first bike option) and I don't regret that my wife and her father convinced me to get a Harley... I absolutely love my bike. But I have a feeling like I have some sort of Harley Davidson curse??
I doubt there is a curse but if you strongly believe in that sort of stuff, ask your wife to buy you a "Gremlin Bell". Can't buy one for yourself, it won't work, but feel free to buy one for your wife and then exchange them as gifts.

Glade to hear you will be getting your bike back soon!! AND....

Welcome to the forum from San Diego, CA!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM
John Hyatt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley dealers are like any other dealership,say a Chevy store,They are there to make money.

It was different before but now with the big buildings and standard replies A Person has to be carefull. I would say it's not common for a teck to do damage,like your twist return,on purpose. They just look at the unit and see what it might need like that oil change.

Just to see when I got back on a few years ago I put too much oil in the bag , of course the vent was spraying oil all over the right side,and went to two Harley dealers. The first one said I had a cracked container and it had to be changed out. The second teck said " Man you have too much oil in that thing !! dont clean it up with a power washer or you will ruin the finish on the motor '

Was the first one being dishonest ? I doubt it that was just how He saw the problem. The second one was a young teck trained at a cycle school two weeks working for the Harley store. You just have to be aware going to the big Harley Stores Youngone.
I too now use an private Harley shop,Freedom Cycle here in OKC, very good service,not bad money,good bunch of Folks.

Hang in there Bud !! And get that Scoot under cover !!!!!

JonMon

Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 AM
n1x1n
Intermediate

I got a call from the dealer! I am getting my bike back!! I am soooooo happy!!

I can't wait to update you guys with the repair and also to make a video and fire it up for you all! I will put mine next to my wife side by side hehe

Quick Reply: Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...