Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Sorry to hear people are dicks by you. Nobody messes with your bike in WI, but you can't ride half the year. Anybody live in a safe area where you can ride all year?
Temecula, CA. Not only that, but we have some beautiful roads where you can be in the mountains or at the beach in under an hour.

Glad this is getting worked out, sucks that it happened. I'd find a place that had a garage if you can. That's what I did. No way I was going to leave my bike out in a carport all night. Just remember, someone wants your bike, they'll get it. The first time that alarm goes off you can bet they'll be back...and better prepaired.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Anybody live in a safe area where you can ride all year?
Phoenix, AZ. Right now in mid-January, at 9am it is 55-60 degrees going up to 70 at 1pm. We get 8 inches of precipitation a year. On the flip side, you have to be able to endure 110-120 degrees in June/July It's a dry heat.

That being said, Phoenix is a massive city and I will admit that there are places that I would not want to leave my bike over night. In North Phoenix/Paradise Valley area (where I am) though I doubt there are many people that would think twice about stealing my sporty, especially when a Lotus Exige is sitting next to it.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
John Hyatt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brotherinlaw had a nice 1200 custom. When we would visit Phonenix I took it out a few times out Indian School way and Glenrossa.

He built a ramp and kept it in the kitchen next to the 55 gal drum full of beer cans. I loved that Guy !! When He got maried It took Lisa two years before He built a shed out back for that Scoot.

No lie my Friend the days of parking the Scoot out in the parking lot and not having it messed with are over X 100 with a nice looking one like Yours. If you can find a place out of the way that would be a good thing.

JonMon

side note >> Yo Wink, is the Tee Pee mexican food place still open ?? Man I had some great times over there. <<

Last edited by John Hyatt; 01-17-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess there won't be a video of me firing it up tomorrow sadly... Harley calls me and says that while they were going to put the front end back together, they found that the idle cable was broken? And that it's unsafe to ride without one?
They were talking about something like the cable that prevents the throttle not to get stuck on WOT? I don't know... this is my first bike
I'm just so bummed out that this happens to me on my first bike lol
I guess that's what I get for bragging about the sweet deal I got on this bike for $3800

But yeah it's just kind of weird that they call me and tell me this happened while they were putting the front end back together... I wonder if THEY did it by accident and I'm the one who has to pay for it... literally

I know I don't regret getting a GSX-R 600 (which was my first bike option) and I don't regret that my wife and her father convinced me to get a Harley... I absolutely love my bike. But I have a feeling like I have some sort of Harley Davidson curse??

My wife tells me not to worry and that to be happy that this is happening to me right now at the very beginning instead of later on. So maybe she's right, once all of this is fixed I will finally be able to ride peacefully

Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take this as you want, but shame on you for taking it to the dealer instead of an independant shop. Lesson learned, I hope.....

Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Take this as you want, but shame on you for taking it to the dealer instead of an independant shop. Lesson learned, I hope.....
Would it have been cheaper? I mean I had no idea...

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes. HD dealers specialize in **** sex. For real....

Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Yes. HD dealers specialize in **** sex. For real....
Well if it makes you feel better, they wanted to do a full service on the bike and charge me $250 which I DECLINED!!!

Will certainly take it to an independent shop for that!!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by n1x1n
Well if it makes you feel better, they wanted to do a full service on the bike and charge me $250 which I DECLINED!!!

Will certainly take it to an independent shop for that!!
Good to hear you declined it. Just be weary. People and businesses can be crooked. Hope you get your bike back soon

Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Good to hear you declined it. Just be weary. People and businesses can be crooked. Hope you get your bike back soon
Thanks a lot my friend... I really hope so too!

Quick Reply: Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...