Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronG87
They may have tried to pick the lock and knocked some of the tumblers out of place just enough to cause a problem. I'd suggest having a mobile locksmith come take a look at it if not that then take it to a dealer.
Be careful with the mobile locksmiths. Just saw a bit on the Today show were most of the mobile locksmiths were incompetent or crooks or both.

Try this. http://www.findalocksmith.com/search.aspx

Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

good luck and welcome to the forum from VA

Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 AM
MrCookie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to hear that it just may be a faulty unused lock. I would invest in a good cable lock or very heavy chain with a cover on it. Or you can do what a buddy of mine did, he would push his bike in to his apartment when he got home. Steering lock and disk lock keeps em from riding off with it, but a couple of good size guys can still pick it up and put it in the back of a truck and pick the locks later. with a chain or cable, they have to do it there with more of a chance of getting caught.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had this problem before. Had the fork lock engaged on my bike and someone broke the lock by brute force. Externally the fork lock looked fine but when I took apart the front end you can see the lock pin was broken as well the hole in the steering stem (that the pin locks into) was mangled preventing the bike from being able to turn all the way to the right completely. Fixed it by shaving down the protruding metal from the mangled hole in the steering stem, but no longer able to lock the forks.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Vins
Club Member

Originally Posted by n1x1n
I definitely will... YouTube is just taking a little time to process the video. Plus my upload speed is extremely slow so it's still uploading...

but yeah, I have tried the WD40 yet, probably will later on today. But yeah thank you so much for all your posts so far! I hope with the video things will be more clear!
If you haven't done the WD 40, yet...don't. It will crystalize over time and eventually make the lock unworkable. I have seen locks and guns ruined with WD 40. Graphite powder is the only thing you should use in a lock.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Vins
If you haven't done the WD 40, yet...don't. It will crystalize over time and eventually make the lock unworkable. I have seen locks and guns ruined with WD 40. Graphite powder is the only thing you should use in a lock.
I switched over to the houdini lock lubricant a couple of years ago .

http://www.naples-locksmith.com/arti...il-debate.html

Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't use my bar lock all that much, but I don't think my key goes all the way in the lock cyl. I have never had an issue with it not unlocking. Try some ED40 in the lock cyl and like was said put the key in and out a few times and then try it. Also you might want to wiggle the bars around some while trying to turn the key.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
WhiskeySierra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
what's the match stick trick? is that some method to pick a lock?
It's a form of vandalism. Shove a match stick into a lock and the owner won't be able to get the key into the lock. Particularly nasty if it's part of a paper match stuffed in far enough that you can't see it.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
John Hyatt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those bar locks are kinda funky. These Guys >>www.trimaxlocks.com << sell some pretty cool stuff for locking down about anything .

I use their braded ss cables on my 16' tandum . It's my 5 th trailor in 12 years if they really want it the theives will get it but at least you can slow them down a little. No one has even tried after I put on a couple of those cable locks on the wheels.

With the given 2 or 3 big ol bubbas could just pick up the scoot and through it in the truck most of the time thats not how the bike theives work.

JonMon

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tike71
I've had this problem before. Had the fork lock engaged on my bike and someone broke the lock by brute force. Externally the fork lock looked fine but when I took apart the front end you can see the lock pin was broken as well the hole in the steering stem (that the pin locks into) was mangled preventing the bike from being able to turn all the way to the right completely. Fixed it by shaving down the protruding metal from the mangled hole in the steering stem, but no longer able to lock the forks.
DING DING DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!!! That is EXACTLY what happened according to the dealership.

Here are pictures of the damage:

So basically they are fixing everything and they will put silicon in which means I will not have a fork lock anymore... Reason why is because if I wanted a fork lock again, to fix everything plus parts would be $375... But since I'm not doing that it will cost $160.

Now thanks to YOU guys, instead of a fork lock, I got a disk lock since you guys recommended it! Which saves me money compared to fixing everything back to normal ($375). When I looked at the ones they had at the dealer, they had 2 kinds. One that was $40 that a normal disk lock but the thing is, bike could still be picked up by people and put into a truck if someone really wanted to steal it... But on the other hand there's one that is $85 and that one not only is bulkier, but also has a 125db alarm system on it with its own battery!!
So not only it's a very strong and effective disk lock, but at the same time if anyone tries to move the bike, the alarm will go off immediately! And sucks to be whoever I catch trying to steal my bike because I am a former Airborne Ranger in the United States Army lol and I will CERTAINLY hear the alarm since it's 125db! hahaha

I honestly don't know how to thank you guys!! You have all been so wonderful!! And you have my word that if ANY of you need help that I can provide, I will be the first one to offer it

I should have the bike back tomorrow morning, and first thing I will do is fire it up for you guys and shoot a video of it so that this Harley can be properly "admitted" to the family per se... lol

Quick Reply: Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...