Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had similar issues with other locks. I use dry graphite powder in a tube "poofed" into the lock and with a little on the key. I then work the key in and out of the lock and have always had the lock free up. I use the dry graphite because it does not attract grit like a solvent or oil-based lubricant. I hope your fix can be as simple.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a safe place to store it,get a disk lock...a gun lol ...that sporty will be gone in a week.high theft state.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went out and locked mine and tried to turn the bars and couldn't get them to turn very far. But what I observed was when I tried to turn the bars is that the lock cylinder moved and I'll bet that if I was to yank on the bars really hard, I could snap that pin. My guess is that someone sat on your bike and grabbed the bars and tried to turn them to snap that pin and steal your bike, or they sat on the bike and almost dropped it and broke it by accident. Now that the pin is sheared off, the end of the pin won't retract because it isn't round any more.

Do you have the alarm on the bike? If not, you may want to invest in one. That way it will chirp if someone moves your bike. I recommend the disc lock too.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 01-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree that the lock itself doesn't look like it has been screwed with (e.g. with someone forcing it with a screwdriver). My guess is that the previous owner didn't use the lock and you were the first one to use it in a long time.

I'm sure that you have tried everything and don't want to suggest the obvious, but given the tempermental nature of these lock barrels, I'd move the bars to the left and try the key, moving the bars incrementally right and then trying it again. It should NOT turn when you have the bars turned so they are facing straight but sometimes won't turn when it is all the way left either. The graphite or WD 40 should free any pins that are out of place.

I hope you figure this out!

BTW, I agree that the riser on your bike looks like a Custom.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

thank you so much for all your input!! I absolutely love this forum... And if there's EVER any problems you guys have that I can help you with, I will certainly be the first one to do so!!
I am headed to the dealer now and I will keep you posted!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n1x1n
thank you so much for all your input!! I absolutely love this forum... And if there's EVER any problems you guys have that I can help you with, I will certainly be the first one to do so!!
I am headed to the dealer now and I will keep you posted!
And now we wait...

Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you get the lock fixed. To chime in on your second question...you cannot shoot someone if they are attempting to steal your motorcycle. I've taken several safety courses and read up on AZ laws for owning and using firearms and have a CCW issued by the state (although it isn't necessary anymore). A good rule of thumb (for full details: go read the gun laws, rule of thumb doesn't mean anything in a court of law) in AZ on whether or not you can use deadly force is:

If yourself or another person is being threatened with death or permanent injury then (in most cases) you are allowed to use deadly force.

That being said, AZ changed another law that can help in such situations. Brandishing (do not read brandishing as pointing at a person) a gun is no longer illegal. You can now show that you have a weapon on your person (i.e. lifting up your shirt to reveal your holstered weapon) to prevent an altercation.

Lastly, and probably the most important thing, is that you should avoid having to use a gun if you can. The use of firearms should be a last case scenario kind of thing.

On that note, if some mother fugger stole my Iron I can't say that I would have the calm of mind to think about those things.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GWinkleman
On that note, if some mother fugger stole my Iron I can't say that I would have the calm of mind to think about those things.
yeah exactly! lol

Ok so update:

I took the bike to the Harley dealer and by the way you guys were right!!! This is not a 2005 Harley 883L but it's a 883 Custom! It's got 5,000 miles only, and they asked me how much I paid for it and I told them I paid $3,800 cash for it and asked them if it was a good deal... and they gave me the weirdest look and started smiling and said that it was pretty much a steal.
I guess you can say that made me feel a lot better about getting the bike! lol

That being said... they do not think that someone tempered with the lock and that as someone previously said here, it might be the fact that the old owner probably never used the fork lock to begin with and then when I started to it might have messed something up. So right now the bike is at the shop and they might have to take the front end off to figure out what's going on and then will call me as SOON as they have an update.
So when I know, you will know!

Once again, thank you guys so much for being so awesome!! Really... I have never felt so welcomed like this before... you guys are the best!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Good luck with the dealer and the fix! I sure hope the cost is reasonable for you. Make sure to keep us posted! And by the way, that is an excellent price you paid for a 2005 XL883C!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Sadly you do not have much of a poker face. You gave up your best hand on the deal. Bet they will get some of it now? We do not call them stealers for nothing? HA

Quick Reply: Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...