Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sad story. I've had everything know to man happen to my cars in the past. Keyed, tires slashed, paint got shaving creamed/stained the paint, stolen stereo, punched, etc.

Keep us updated.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
n1x1n
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely will... YouTube is just taking a little time to process the video. Plus my upload speed is extremely slow so it's still uploading...

but yeah, I have tried the WD40 yet, probably will later on today. But yeah thank you so much for all your posts so far! I hope with the video things will be more clear!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

They may have tried to pick the lock and knocked some of the tumblers out of place just enough to cause a problem. I'd suggest having a mobile locksmith come take a look at it if not that then take it to a dealer.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

when you get this problem fixed watch for the old match stick in lock trick.!! (paper matches with head torn off)

on mine i never use the damn thing for fear it will screw up on a road trip.
so if they want my bike take it but dont let me see you doing it. i have a dark side

Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's how mine works with the steering locked to the left and on the jiffystand:

Put the key in the steering lock. Let go of the key. Turn the handlebars to the right one inch. Turn the key to unlock.

FYI - I had a similar situation the first time I locked my forks in a parking lot. My key isn't the easiest to insert to begin with and I was thinking, "How in the world am I going to get this unlocked?" Took me 15 min of standing there to figure it out. I felt like I undid the Gordian Knot once I got the key to turn.

I think the key should go all the way in.

Good luck.
this is how mine works. Key will not turn unless you turn your bars to the right a bit first.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can turn the bars far enough to push the bike in a straight line, something is messed up or someone messed with it. With it locked, the bars shouldn't move very far from the left stop.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I remember right, I think only the first part of the key goes in. For the bar lock.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
If I remember right, I think only the first part of the key goes in. For the bar lock.
You made me go check!

Mine actually goes all the way in, but I could see how these things differ.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
John Hyatt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

N1..that's a bad deal. I too have been stolen from so many times with my Business I cant even hate them anymore. Reminds of record fire at White Sands shooting pop up targets. It was a joke going back on the bus to Ft Bliss " no reason to shoot those things, they just keep popping up again !!!"

I really like the Phoenix area too bad it's gone that way but thieves are like cockroaches they just eat the dead ones and make 10,000 more.

Damm shame with a new Scoot. AAA would toe it,seems like that's what you shoud do get it over to a shop, Hang in there Bud !!!!!
JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

There's a pin that holds the locking mechanism to the neck. You can see it on top of the boss that the lock sits in (protruding from the neck). You can see it peeping over the edge of the top bearing race in the first pic (shiney semi-circle). It's about an 1/8" diameter.
Here's the simple mechanism. You can see the lock barrel in the neck:

Here, you can see the hole near the top of the stem that the barrel goes into. Unless that hole is wobbled out, I don't see how your bars could turn much when the lock's barrel is engaged.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 01-15-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: nunya

Quick Reply: Got my Sportster!! But already bad news...