Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and Power and Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 AM
DanHuuN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and Power and Sound

Stuck in sort of a bind and in need of some advice.

I'm a proud owner of a 2012 Iron 883 with a 1200cc conversion, SE Heavy Breather, SE pipes, SE Slip-ons, Stage 1 DL. The runs good and my only qualm with it was the sound of the exhaust. It definitely sounded great at a cold start up, but after riding for about 20 minutes or so I am not fond of the sound of my pipes. I wish they still had the roar and rumble it did at start up.

So, of course I recently picked up a set of custom pipes that I fell in love with. However, I have now realized that I lost a significant amount of Torque and HP. A typical road I take on my way home, if I "ride it like I stole it" I was able to easily hit 90+.

My question here is, is it just the pipes? or is it because I need to tune and Dyno the bike because my ECM was initially set for my previous set-up, therefore it doesn't run like it used to? Will I regain the Torque and HP I remember, if not better by doing so? Or does having louder pipes with shorter baffles take that toll?

Aside from the above, I am also not 100% happy with the sound. They are definitely louder! However I really wished they were less throaty and more deep. My girlfriend (who doesn't like loud anyways) said that the note doesnt sound smooth. I can definitely notice the sound difference but I cant hear the exhaust when I'm moving over 40mph. I remember when I wore my full-face I could hear a deep hum from the exhaust but now I dont hear anything. Why is this? Is there a way to make deeper tones?

Thanks in advance folks, ride safe!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Typically louder and shorter pipes end up reducing the speed of the exhaust gas velocity, which will result in less torque, especially in the low & mid RPM range.

There is an inexpensive solution that will increase your Torque & horsepower AND equally important, it will give you the ability to fine tune your exhaust note...both in volume and tone.

Thunder Torque Inserts

Earlier this week we did 63 pulls on a dyno, 21 different configurations, 3 pulls per config.

Today I printed up the charts and we should have a bunch of them posted in this next week with notes.

One of the charts we will be posting shows two pulls

1. Stock 883 with stock pipes drilled out
2. Stock 883 with stock pipes drilled out with Thunder Torque inserts

Results: 8%-20% increase in torque between 2000 and 4500 RPM. Horsepower which really does not mean much, but everyone seems interested in, was 5%-15% higher across the rpm band.

Here's a couple of videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWenm0J9Jug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGKgB0-f5A

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
ian03xl
Advanced

More information is needed to make an informed decision. Does the exhaust have a baffle? What is the diameter of the tubing? What is the length of the tubing (approximately)? As far as sound that is a very subjective matter and typically to achieve a particular sound you are going to compromise power output in some way or vise-versa.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
DanHuuN
Cruiser

DK - My pipes have a 1 7/8'' inside diameter will the TTI fit? I see 2'' and bigger on the website.

Ian - The pipes do have a baffle, tubing diameter is 1 7/8'' inside.

So, despite sound, if I tune and dyno the bike will i regain my HP or Torque if not more? Will that make a difference?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

A set of D&D Bobcat's...

Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by rickss69
A set of D&D Bobcat's...

I plan for that and the best flowing AC I can get my hands on within reason.

After that, I will have the bike dyno tuned to take advantage of it all. From what I am hearing, the bike runs lean from the factory so it would help

Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanHuuN
DK - My pipes have a 1 7/8'' inside diameter will the TTI fit? I see 2'' and bigger on the website.

Ian - The pipes do have a baffle, tubing diameter is 1 7/8'' inside.

So, despite sound, if I tune and dyno the bike will i regain my HP or Torque if not more? Will that make a difference?
Dan,

You will want the 118 Models. They will be on the website later today.

With a dyno tune you may regain some of your Torque, but not all of it, the physics of your shorter pipes simply increase the engine pumping loss. That is what the Thunder Torques are for, is to reduce the engine pumping loss, resulting in increase Torque & HP.

Check out post #74 at this link-
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...83-iron-8.html

Old 01-15-2012, 01:01 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by DK Custom
With a dyno tune you may regain some of your Torque, but not all of it, the physics of your shorter pipes simply increase the engine pumping loss. That is what the Thunder Torques are for, is to reduce the engine pumping loss, resulting in increase Torque & HP.

THIS might be a better way. Now it is going to show that one post without going thru the whole post. And yes, I did read it Very educational.

Fortunately for me, I have no appreciation for sound or aesthetics so I can simply choose max power which is quantifiable and not have to have compromises except with the wallet.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Dan,

You will want the 118 Models. They will be on the website later today.

Hey Kevin did you guys test these torque inserts on a set of Short Shots? I would be interested to see the results. Do the inserts install like lollipops?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greatscott
Hey Kevin did you guys test these torque inserts on a set of Short Shots? I would be interested to see the results. Do the inserts install like lollipops?
We did not do any dyno runs with short shots, but we did do some with V&H Big Shots with a good increase in torque.

Charts are being scanned tomorrow and should be up in the next few days.

Yes, they install like lollipops...in fact, they are just very fancy lollipops... because of the shape and materials used, they generate much better results than lollipops.

btw, the 118's are now up on the site- HERE

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Power and Sound