Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking bobber Sportster--already fallen in love

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
spastikmonkii
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I e-mailed Custom Chrome to see what they're planning. I just wish I could find something similar!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in Marion...not too far from you over there in Lafayette. What year is your bike? I may be able to help you with the tank & bars.

Originally Posted by beanerblank
To me they took too much out of the frame to get that oil tank in there. However I can be a bit paranoid.
Nothing is removed from the frame for the oil tank. In 04 the frame design changed and that area below the seat is now formed plate instead of tube as it had been in the past.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bike OP posted is hella sexy! Sans that fat front tire and the bars

Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
spastikmonkii
3rd Gear

mreed: actually don't have one yet. Waiting for things to settle at work before I take the plunge, so in the mean time I've spent the last 6 months getting my endorsement through the ABATE course, test riding, and accumulating gear. I'll most likely be picking up a used Nightster, but I might go with something pre-EFI if I can find a good deal and one of these tanks. But like I said, I'm hoping to find something similar that will accomodate an EFI model sportster.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 AM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
I'm in Marion...not too far from you over there in Lafayette. What year is your bike? I may be able to help you with the tank & bars.

Nothing is removed from the frame for the oil tank. In 04 the frame design changed and that area below the seat is now formed plate instead of tube as it had been in the past.
Oh, I guess it just looks different when the stock oil bag is in there.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
spastikmonkii
3rd Gear

It appears as though my tank-investigation has hit a dead end.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if mreed can't help ya, rene over @ mercurymoto (vendor on chopcult website) can hook you up with any tank you want.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spastikmonkii
mreed: actually don't have one yet. Waiting for things to settle at work before I take the plunge, so in the mean time I've spent the last 6 months getting my endorsement through the ABATE course, test riding, and accumulating gear. I'll most likely be picking up a used Nightster, but I might go with something pre-EFI if I can find a good deal and one of these tanks. But like I said, I'm hoping to find something similar that will accomodate an EFI model sportster.

Just a suggestion but achieving that same look with the oil tank/battery box setup they have my be easier to do on a non-EFI model. Reason being you'd have less wiring and other stuff to be concerned with hiding. Also in the event that you do get your hands on a Cole Foster tank the bottom will need to be modified to accept the fuel pump for the EFI system. Not saying that any of these things are impossible, simply things that should be considered.

Originally Posted by spastikmonkii
It appears as though my tank-investigation has hit a dead end.
I believe I saw one on Chop Cult in their classified section just recently. Seems alot of people like them so they may become harder to come by. This past August while up in Sturgis I was checking out this cool little motorcycle parts shop right off of Main Street. They had a Cole Foster tank for sale and I HIGHLY thought about buying it for future usage but didn't. I kick myself knowing that they may never be made again. Those tanks are sexy.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Custom Chrome was supposed to have a run of Cole Foster tanks available on Jan 10. Maybe give them a call.

There was also a Cole Foster tank on Chop Cult for sale already set up for a Sportster's fuel pump but I agree with HERE, try to find a non EFI bike. The one you posted is an 06. No EFI on that one. ANY 04 to 06 will have the same platform as that bike.

EFI wiring is a headache. I'm helping a guy re-wire his Nightster to clean it up. He will have ZERO wires exposed but it's a super pain in the ***.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Mr.Twisted
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mreed
Custom Chrome was supposed to have a run of Cole Foster tanks available on Jan 10. Maybe give them a call.

There was also a Cole Foster tank on Chop Cult for sale already set up for a Sportster's fuel pump but I agree with HERE, try to find a non EFI bike. The one you posted is an 06. No EFI on that one. ANY 04 to 06 will have the same platform as that bike.

EFI wiring is a headache. I'm helping a guy re-wire his Nightster to clean it up. He will have ZERO wires exposed but it's a super pain in the ***.

Mreed, I'm real curious about how you would go about hiding the wiring, I have an '08 and have been thinking about the same thing.

OP, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread, I love that bike you're going after, best of luck with the build up.

Quick Reply: Thinking bobber Sportster--already fallen in love