Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tear me down, build me up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've made a good amount of progress, albeit through long nights this week and a lot of roadblocks traveling with work but I seem to have stumbled upon a bit of a problem. Maybe someone can figure this out. I added a run/turn/brake trailer module in but I've tried about every wiring scheme I could think of and the blinkers don't blink, they're just steady on. Here's the trailer module set up:

Spliced into the wires from the turn cancel module:

and the output from the module:

Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

On a side note, here is where all the switches got moved. Turn, horn and start:

Here's the Hella and the turns and the $4 relocation bracket:

Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like you have led turn signals. You'll need a load equalizer. If you want to test it out splice in a stock turn signal. Don't change your wiring, just splice it in. The fillament bulb should provide enough resistance to actuate the flasher.

2 other variables would be incorrect wiring OR you have removed your turn signal module. You don't necessarily need the turn signal module but if you have removed it you will need to wire in flasher circuits. The trailer piece doesn't provide a flasher circuit so it is not a direct replacement for your turn signal module. What it does is allow you to have run/brake/turn with just one pair of 3 wire tail lights. Those 3 wires will be 1. ground 2. turn 3. brake. That piece you have will let the turn signal flash when you have the brakes applied...that's all. It does not provide a flasher.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

Mreed, none of the lights are LEDs, it's a small incandescent bulb in those little bad guys.

I left the turn signal module in the line up. I added the brake module in line after the stock Harley connector, in the first photo you can see the black connector right above the Turn Cancel unit. I added a couple of wiring diagram photos too. I know it's hard to tell colors from the photo of the wiring connection I made to the module, but here they are (stock connecting to module):

R Turn Brown---> Green
Brake Red/Yellow-->Red
L Turn Purple---> Yellow
Tail Blue----> Brown
Grnd Black---> White

Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

So, i went and disconnected the trailer adapter and hooked up a stock Harley indicator front and rear on the right side and wouldn't you know it, they flash. It must have not had enough load to get the flasher to start. I remember those little arrows having 3 wires so I unwound the e-tape back all the way and found the third wire. Tried it in place of the stock Harley light up front and it works too.

I wish I could figure out how to jimmy this trailer adapter in but it seems like it junks up the load on the system and causes it to trip out. Kinda bent that to get run/turn/brake I'm gonna have to shell out 60 plus dollars to the dealer for a plug in module.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

So i figured out the trailer adapter, and if anyone needs/wants the true wiring let me know, I'll put it up.

Anyway, went for a poker run/ shake down run yesterday and while everything feels great/ works great I hit a bit of a set back. There is oil coming up through the front left rocker box allen head bolt. Not just a bit, a fair amount. FML.

Looks like I'll be pulling the tank and front rocker box cover and trying to figure out why there's oil making its way out.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser
Default Small update

I decided to try out some rattle can paint and I got the seat back from Tiajuana. I'll sand and do some clear tomorrow hopefully. Nevermind the big a$$ dents I uncovered during sanding.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

I still need to clear the tank, but that's going to have to wait until my cans of SprayMax 2k show up. I need to re-attach the speedo but I think she's done for now. After seeing how easy or rather relatively easy it was to work with fiberglass I am going to make a cafe style seat/ cowl to switch out with this seat when I want to change things up. I'm pretty happy with how things came out all in all. Many thanks to those that offered up advice and technical wisdom. I'll get some good photos to post up once I get back from a little training trip, ugh no riding.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice read, and Nice work.

So on your headlight, are you only having just one intensity, or are you getting high and low beam?

Love the light..........I was wondering if placing a resister/load ballast in the circuit would allow for low and high beams from the same bulb? I for one would think it could/would, although I have not sat down and done the math on the load perimeters.

I think that will be a good project to do tomorrow in the AM, while having coffee. I believe I might try that light set up on my project bike, as I too am removing all switches from the front-end, as to only have the headlight wires go up there.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not clearing the tank within 24 hrs of basecoat will cause delamination down the road.

Quick Reply: Tear me down, build me up.