Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tear me down, build me up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine getting rid of this bike anytime soon. It's my first and I like the overall feel of it, power, style so it will remain around for a while.

So the frame is off having the few things done and here is a progress report of the sissy bar fabrication, it has some guide rods on the inside and is made to be a quick removal if I need to:

Many props to Rene over at MercuryMoto in El Centro, CA. He's a hard charger and will be starting on the bar portion, then on to the other little details I have asked for.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

rene is a gnarly dude. can't wait to see how this turns out for ya.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work on those brackets.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Ya, that's my approach as well. But the stuff adds up quick. I've already got several hundred bucks worth of forks, wheels and a couple odd ends. I've still got the frame and various associated pieces that are going to cost a few hundred more. I'm not sure how much more the rockers will add to that. Maybe it's not even worth worrying about...
Dang man. You could've bought your own powdercoating outfit for that price. I powdercoat but not everything fits in my oven. I recently had an entire 56 Bel Air frame powdercoated for 200 bucks. I had to wait until they were running the color I wanted but it was worth the wait.

Look in to powdercoating stuff on Eastwood.com You don't need an oven. For the parts you're doing a cure lamp will work just fine.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Dang man. You could've bought your own powdercoating outfit for that price. I powdercoat but not everything fits in my oven. I recently had an entire 56 Bel Air frame powdercoated for 200 bucks. I had to wait until they were running the color I wanted but it was worth the wait.

Look in to powdercoating stuff on Eastwood.com You don't need an oven. For the parts you're doing a cure lamp will work just fine.
I know man, I hear ya. They've quoted me $270 to do the frame. Ouch. We actually have a small powder set up at the shop with an old kitchen oven. It's fine for small items, but, I didn't want to risk doing the wheels in that and once I decided to send the wheels out, well, I figured might as well have them do other stuff to. Keep things consistent looking. Couldn't be THAT much more $. But all those small parts do add up. Now I'm faced with having to send the frame out for powder and looking at the same situation...why not just throw in this little piece and that small item, and pretty soon you're talking real money. So ya, I could, and probably will do some of the smaller and less obtrusive stuff at the shop. Side cases and rocker covers...I don't know. If you screw up paint it's easy to blast it off and start over. Not so easy with powder. If I send it out and they phuc it up, they'll redo it.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread Shady...

Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

I see how it is. If I don't post you'll hijack, so.....

Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

^^^n****z is inpatient.....lol.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

All done with the sissy bar and tank lift, need to go pick it up to get it all off to get PCd:

And the tank lifted to its slightly higher location. Got rid of the little brackets.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:53 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

rene did a sweet job on the sissy bar dude. damn he banged that thing out quick.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

Top notch guy. I would recommend him to anyone. Trying to convince a friend of mine to get some custom bars through Rene. Guy wants something in between what is offered out in the market and I told him Rene could make whatever he wanted.

Originally Posted by bmxatv
rene did a sweet job on the sissy bar dude. damn he banged that thing out quick.

Quick Reply: Tear me down, build me up.