Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Stage One stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006 | 12:36 PM
sumncguy
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Default More Stage One stuff

Rejetting Jets ~$20.00 + labor
29042-04A SE Air Cleaner SE A/C KIT, XL '04+ $88.51
32979-98A Screamin' Eagle Sportster Street Ignition Module $95.96
80417-06 KIT, MUFF, BAL CUT XL'06+ $281.83

If Im understanding posts Ive read, drilling out the stock pipes will give me just as much flow as spending $282 on slip ons.

The main reason I am considering this is because the dealer is unable to solve the problem with the spitting, sputtering, farting. More HP is a nice by product. What is the consensus ? In most cases, do these mods correct the farting issue.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2006 | 03:30 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Default RE: More Stage One stuff

The spitting, sputtering, etc is usually because the idle mixture/slow jet is too lean. What did their $20 + labor rejetting include? You can fix this by replacing the slow jet with a 45 and adjusting the idle mixture screw, or maybe just adjusting the idle mixture screw.
Those mufflers you quoted are catalyst muffs, any particular reason you want them? You can do a lot better with Cycle Shack or some other aftermarket mufflers for way less than 1/2 the price of the H-D ones.
Drilling out the stockers will help, but you probably won't be happy with the sound or performance. Most aftermarket outfits spend some R&D time getting the sound and performance where it should be, drilling out the stockers will be hit or miss at best. I drilled the baffle plates out of my stock mufflers while I was waiting on aftermarket ones to arrive and they sounded like crap.

Old 12-09-2006 | 03:32 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Yep, I got my cycle Shack slip on for $119, freight included.

Old 12-09-2006 | 05:16 PM
sumncguy
|
Road Warrior

Murph, they've been messing with the farting issue since the second day of purchase. If Im not mistaken, the $20 plus labor was to change the jet, and tune the carb. When I asked change to what, he said, "Im not sure, we'll have to see!" .. made me a little nervous, frankly.

Hell no, Im not bound to HD parts or HD at all. SportyP where did you get the Cycle Shacks ??

Id love to save a few buck so that I can put a new seat on ...

Old 12-09-2006 | 05:25 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sumncguy

...where did you get the Cycle Shacks ??

Id love to save a few buck so that I can put a new seat on ...
Go to http://www.jirehcycles.com/ for ordering your Cycle Shack slip-ons. Great service and they're something like only $122.00 shipped to your door...

Old 12-09-2006 | 10:37 PM
murphdog
Road Master

NCguy,
Last jet I bought from Harley was $3. Try and find out from them which jet they changed and what they changed it to. There are some pretty good posts in the DIY Help forum under Fuel/Carb Related about rejetting complete with pictures. In particular, look at the one titled Sportster CV Carb Rejetting.
Changing the slow jet to a 45 and adjusting the idle mixture screw is common practice to cure your symptoms.
The 32979-98A ignition module they're quoting you won't work on an '06 (I think that's what you have), it's for '98-'03 models. You would need something like a 31784-04A (Fits ’04-’06 XL883/C models).
I'll second Jireh as the best place to buy Cycle Shack mufflers. I got some for my Dyna there for less than $100 with free shipping.

Old 12-10-2006 | 06:52 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

I run with the Cycle shack bologna cut slip ons. They look and sound good to me. I'm happy. Price was 120.00 shipping included from a parts store out in Minn. . Can't think of the name right now I'm afraid.

Old 12-10-2006 | 06:56 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

I remember. Dennis Kirk. Give them a look.

Old 12-10-2006 | 12:22 PM
sumncguy
|
Road Warrior

murphdog,

They havent done the rejet yet. Im kicking it around because it seems like they cant fix the farting issue and its getting real annoying. If I do the rejet, what the hell, I might as well do the whole stage one right ? This is my first bike since high school and first Harley. I gotta say that Im beginning to question design and the mechanics ability. A few different mechanics from the dealer where I purchased worked on it already. I have the fix my hog dvd and the service manual is on its way. I am not a total misfit when it comes to spinning a wrench but some things I just like to be done by "the pros". I may have to change that philosiphy. I have a S+S certified mechanic just down the road a mile or two ...but I looked around his shop and see alot of unfinished work. In additon, he is ten times worse when it comes to getting the work done and bike back to its owner.

Ill double check the with them on the part numbers and have already checked out Jireh, but my biggest concern is that I spend the money and still have this damn farting thing going on.

Yes I have an 06 883 Standard. The weather is supposed to break today ..... bout 57 degrees. Give me a chance to was the vehicles. Maybe I can get a pic to post today.

If anyone out there in Triangle/Triad area of NC land can recommend a mechanic between Greensboro and Cary and Danville Va and Pittsboro Im all ears. Heres where I live.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...m=1&iwloc=addr

Thanks alot for all the help guys.
Chris

Old 12-10-2006 | 09:52 PM
murphdog
Road Master

Probably a bit too far, but Tilley's in Statesville has a pretty good reputation. Sounds like your dealer is struggling with things. You can change the slow jet and adjust the idle mixture yourself if you're handy at all with a wrench...not that big a deal. Maybe you already know about these, but if you don't check out sportster.org and xlforum.net.

Quick Reply: More Stage One stuff