Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Preferences???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 AM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have preferred to use factory brand oil in all of my vehicles regardless of age or brand. Sometimes you're better off paying a little more for peace of mind. Better than learning the hard way that not all things are created equal.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,799 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by ntg433
I use Mobile 1 for V-Twin which is also suitable for the primary (=wet-clutches, doesn't have the anti-friction additives that regular automotive oil does). Notwithstanding what was mentioned about oil filters, I would go with the original Harley oil filter as it is a 30-micron pore size which is made for a Sporty. The finer pore filters may clog and trip the by pass and you will have defeated the purpose of having a filter.
Whatever you do, stay away from the so called 5 micron filter. The Sporty oiling system is speced at 12-15 psi. It's a flow based system instead of a pressure based system like the TC's. Most filter bypass valves don't open till 8 psi to begin with so it's very important that your filter flows good. If you don't mind spending the money, these are very high flow filters. I have one on my 06XL, and 08FXSTC. And according to Blackstone Labs, who does my UOA's, they filter extremely well. Prior to installing one on my 08 96ci. oil pressure at idle, engine hot was around 6 psi. After installation it jumped to 20 psi due to the increased flow throughout the system.

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...em&itemKey=684

Old 12-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
Whatever you do, stay away from the so called 5 micron filter. The Sporty oiling system is speced at 12-15 psi. It's a flow based system instead of a pressure based system like the TC's. Most filter bypass valves don't open till 8 psi to begin with so it's very important that your filter flows good. If you don't mind spending the money, these are very high flow filters. I have one on my 06XL, and 08FXSTC. And according to Blackstone Labs, who does my UOA's, they filter extremely well. Prior to installing one on my 08 96ci. oil pressure at idle, engine hot was around 6 psi. After installation it jumped to 20 psi due to the increased flow throughout the system.

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...em&itemKey=684
I dont think I understand. I dont know a hell of a lot about these engines and their oil systems and pumps but make my living using pressure washer pumps. I would think the physics are the same. You can increase pressure one of 2 ways, increase flow from the source (oil pump) or restrict flow downstream of the source. You said your idle pressure increased almost 3 fold just by changing the filter. How does it do that without restricting flow?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:25 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rog48
I dont think I understand. I dont know a hell of a lot about these engines and their oil systems and pumps but make my living using pressure washer pumps. I would think the physics are the same. You can increase pressure one of 2 ways, increase flow from the source (oil pump) or restrict flow downstream of the source. You said your idle pressure increased almost 3 fold just by changing the filter. How does it do that without restricting flow?
By increasing flow through the filter, it increases volume in the oil galleys throughout the motor. At idle through a restrictive filter the oil flow isn't sufficient enough to completly fill the galleys. Fill the galleys to capacity then you get your pressure increase.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:53 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by nc883
I have preferred to use factory brand oil in all of my vehicles regardless of age or brand. Sometimes you're better off paying a little more for peace of mind. Better than learning the hard way that not all things are created equal.
Wow, sometimes what I read on this forum just leave me speechless.
Do people really believe that vehicle manufactures make oil?
Do you know that HD's motor oil is made by........... CITGO?
Do people really believe that at about the same price, HD's Citgo oil compares with the likes of Mobil-1, Amsoil, Redline, etc?

You'd get more peace of mind, if you learned something about oil. There's an entire Oil Section here on the forum.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Amsoil I makes me happy.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

By increasing flow through the filter, it increases volume in the oil galleys throughout the motor. At idle through a restrictive filter the oil flow isn't sufficient enough to completly fill the galleys. Fill the galleys to capacity then you get your pressure increase.
Im sorry, still doesnt make sense to me. According to my manual my bike has a gerotor pump which is a positive displacement pump. Positive displacement pumps pump a given amount of oil at a given rpm..............no matter what. So lets say (just pulling numbers out of my *** here) at 1000 rpm the pump produces 1 gal per minute of flow. If filter A is restrictive whether by design or a clog, the pressure will increase until the restriction is overcome, either through the filter media or a bypass. Either way, that 1 gpm is going to flow. If filter B is less restrictive it will need LESS pressure to overcome its resistance. This is exactly opposite of what your saying is happening with your bikes. Im also assuming that pressure is measured between the pump and filter, which it is on my bike, at least for the idiot light, I have no gauge.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:00 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rog48
Im sorry, still doesnt make sense to me. According to my manual my bike has a gerotor pump which is a positive displacement pump. Positive displacement pumps pump a given amount of oil at a given rpm..............no matter what. So lets say (just pulling numbers out of my *** here) at 1000 rpm the pump produces 1 gal per minute of flow. If filter A is restrictive whether by design or a clog, the pressure will increase until the restriction is overcome, either through the filter media or a bypass. Either way, that 1 gpm is going to flow. If filter B is less restrictive it will need LESS pressure to overcome its resistance. This is exactly opposite of what your saying is happening with your bikes. Im also assuming that pressure is measured between the pump and filter, which it is on my bike, at least for the idiot light, I have no gauge.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.
And if you go back and read you'll see I said that on my TC that is what happened. Your Sportster oil pump is a volume based, not pressure based. A Sporty pump doesn't even have a pressure relief spring in it.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,436 Likes on 5,026 Posts

I think this thread may just set the record for mis-information.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

And if you go back and read you'll see I said that on my TC that is what happened. Your Sportster oil pump is a volume based, not pressure based. A Sporty pump doesn't even have a pressure relief spring in it.
Ill accept that, I know even less about them

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Preferences???